Question 1999 Ford Explorer FF convertible car seat

boymom2

We are flying to visit my inlaws for two weeks and will be using their 1999 Ford Explorer. Our just turned 4 year old is 40" and 32 lbs and rides FF. We have a Diono Radian and a Chicco Nextfit. We have traveled plenty with both seats. I have also thought of getting a light weight seat to use for travel. This trip has three flights each way so lots of getting on and off planes. I have seen mention of there being no top tether in the 99 Explorer. Is this true? Don't most convertible car seat require a tether in FF mode? What should I use? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

Since you've traveled with both seats, I'd probably take the Radian, and assuming you have the rear facing pieces, pack them with you and simply use the seat rear facing when you get there. That removes the need for the forward facing tether.

A 1999 Ford Explorer does not have tethers. You can see if you can get them, but it's not likely anymore. Most have run out of parts. The tether part number is F17Z 78613D74A. Try mentioning program R7C. I don't know how long it takes, so your inlaws would have to do this before you get there.

You could try to see if your four year old fits rear facing in your NextFit and take that if you prefer (head contained within the shell). Either way. But I'd plan to rear face for the two weeks you're traveling. It's probably a lot more doable than trying to find the parts and getting a dealership to install a tether.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC