Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Small 7yo --continue to harness or high back booster?

Long time no see, y'all.

My daughter is 7yo and only about 43.5" and 34lbs. She's been FF in her Radian for a couple years. We do have a Graco HBTB on hand for quick trips in friends' vehicles. She can stay put for short trips. Her Radian will expire next year (harness in 2020). She is unlikely to hit 40lbs in the next year.

At what point is she likely to be safer with a belt rather than a harness? Do we really know? Do I need to weigh submarining vs spine? Is her spine going to be better off moving with her body at some point? Her bone age has varied over the years from 1-3years behind. She hasn't had that tested in a few years. She was only 18mo or so behind last time, which is still considered a variation of normal/typical (for her age at the time). Am I over thinking this?

The harness isn't an issue. She doesn't mind. It's not in the way or causing logistical seating problems. We homeschool, so no car line.

The only thing that has to change in the next year is buying a new restraint of some sort next summer. I don't mind buying another harnessed seat. I just don't know at what point I need to consider switching, given her small stature.

Thanks!
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Small 7yo --continue to harness or high back booster?

Likely she's fine boostering now, assuming her booster accommodates her size (her Radian does not as a booster). You have the screws in the armrests of her Turbo? Most five year olds (her skeletal age) are just fine boostered. I'd booster her without too much worry.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I agree. If you're both ready to booster I'd go for it without hesitation.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Thanks. You make good points. The screws are in the turbo.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

CPS Technician

Several boosters now have a 40 lbs minimum, such as the Evenflo Spectrum (great seat, btw). Make sure you check that. Bc of her size, I'd keep her in a high back booster for now for sure. My 5.5 year old daughter is 44 inches tall & 38.5 lbs. She fits great in the Evenflo Big Kid booster & Harmony booster. I love the Harmony for the anti submarining features, but it does not bc backless (unless there's a new version that does). She normally still rides harnessed bc she has them.

The Britax high back boosters are great too, and you can use their SG clip on the lap belt.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The Britax high back boosters have a 40 pound minimum, and would not work here.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785