Question PLEASE help! Cannot install car seat with seat belt!

U

Unregistered

Hi, my daughter outgrew her first cart seat which had a base, and is now in a convertible car seat. I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla in which all rear seat belts have shoulder belts. This video shows what I am trying to do with the same car seat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a8v7fmckH4

I have no idea how she is succeeding at securing this car seat, because my problem is that the shoulder belt pulls up on one side of the car seat and causes it to tip over no matter what I do! I've tried twisting both buckles to shorten them, tried placing a locking clip in multiple places and it does not appear to be possible to keep this thing from, at best, leaning at a 30 degree angle! I'm at my wit's end because there's no way I can just not ever drive my daughter anywhere. Buying a new car isn't possible either because I have neither the time nor money to do so. Please help!!

Thanks much,
Jake

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Jake. The carseat tipping over is very frustrating and some carseats are worse than others at doing it. When locking your retractor and pulling the seat belt tight, which is what is causing the tipping, it ultimately involves some finessing of the seat belt to keep it from pulling up on the retractor side. I'll explain my technique then link you to a site that has an explanation of how to install a locking clip properly if you want to go down that road.

1. First, you'll want to move the front seats all the way forward. I'm assuming you're installing in the center because the SureRide takes up a lot of front-to-back space. Stand behind the carseat and lift the cover from the rear-facing belt path so you can see it clearly.
  2. Run the seat belt through the belt path and buckle it. Now lock the seat belt by pulling it out all the way slowly and let it retract naturally.
  3. Lean over the back of the carseat and grab the shoulder belt with your hand just above the latchplate at the buckle. Use your weight to push the carseat down while you pull the seat belt tight.
  4. Using your other hand, feed the seat belt into the retractor, taking care NOT to lift it up so the carseat tips. It may help you to have a partner pulling the shoulder belt down on the outside of the carseat. But be careful that your fingers don't get pinched over by the latchplate. Repeat as needed until the carseat moves less than 1" at the belt path.

Here's the website for the locking clip: https://carseatsite.com/lockingclips/

mom of six

tried placing a locking clip in multiple places

If you use a locking clip you do not need to lock the seat belt by pulling it all the way out of the retractor. The locking clip serves to lock the lap belt portion and keeps the car seat tight. If there is no tension on the shoulder belt (because it is left unlocked) the car seat should not tip anymore.

This thread talks about using a locking clip to prevent tipping and shows pictures in post #9. https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?142994-Locking-Clip

Hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC