Booster for 7.5 yo in Subaru Ascent

U

Unregistered

. My 7.5 year old (48" tall and 56 lbs) has been in a high back Chicco Kidfit until now. She's a pretty good booster rider, rarely sleeps in her seat, and occasionally needs a reminder to not lean out of her seat to bug her older brother.
We just got a Subaru Ascent with captains chairs. Her kidfit doesn't install with the highback flush against the contour of the captain's chair. The seat bottom itself is secure, but the give in the back bugs my daughter and gives me pause. I'm not sure if the best move is to look for another very narrow high back seat, or remove the back of the kidfit. I think she's ready, but I had been hoping to keep her in the high back longer.

I'd be grateful for advice!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my experience, that gap is likely to be an issue with most boosters. You could try a different one if you like, maybe an Evenflo Big Kid/Amp?, but I'd be prepared to have the only viable solutions with seats that shape be backless or very expensive boosters with rigid LATCH and recline that allow that gap.

At 7.5 I'd expect good backless fit, and the good news is that as long as fit is good and the child sits properly, there's not a proven difference in high back vs backless boosters safety-wise.

U

Unregistered

I am having a similar problem with my Subaru Forester. Did you end up finding a high-back booster that did not have the gap or did you go with a backless booster??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC