Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Britax Pioneer LATCH Limit

My 6 year old is in a Pioneer still using the harness. Seat is currently secured with LATCH, but I just realized that he is over 40lbs. Does that mean that I need to secure the seat with the seatbelt if I want him to continue using the harness? But if I switch him to the seatbelt instead of the harness, I can still secure the seat with LATCH so it doesn't move around when he is not in it, correct?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax Pioneer LATCH Limit

The limit for lower anchor use should be 45 lbs. Check the label on the seat. Every seat made after 2014 is required to have this info on a label (same label as the belt path pictures, if made after 2015).

4. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4cuties View Post
    But if I switch him to the seatbelt instead of the harness, I can still secure the seat with LATCH so it doesn't move around when he is not in it, correct?
    As mentioned above, the label should state a limit (almost certainly 45 lbs.) for lower anchor installation. But I wanted to address this part of your post- you will not use both seatbelt and lower anchors to install while using the harness. You'll store the lower anchor connector straps and only use the seatbelt and top tether, following the instructions for installing for harness use with seatbelt in your manual.

Only in booster mode, after you have removed the harness, would you ever use both lower anchors and seatbelt together with this seat.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

6. Thank You from:

Thanks, ketchupqueen I would never secure this seat with both LATCH and seatbelt. I meant that if I want my son to buckle himself with the seatbelt (and not he harness), I can still use LATCH to secure the seat so it can't become a projectile when he isn't in it. But thanks for the clarification!

I checked the label and it does say 45lbs. He is 46lbs (and 45" tall) so I will either switch to seatbelt for the seat and continue harness for him, or just let him use the seatbelt.

Thanks guys!