Keyfit30 mazda cx5 level

S

Squirrel8254

Hi,

I have the keyfit 30 and im unable to get the base level in a 2017 CX5. The best we can get is the bubble is about 50 to 70% past the first line closest to the seatbacks. It looks like the adjustable recline doesnt go in the right direction and so only makes the leveling worse. Ive tried tightening the latches with my feet but this wont cut it. It seems like the only solution would be to put towels or something under the base which im sure is not tested.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Are you trying to install on the side?

Chicco doesn't allow the use of towels, and it sounds like you'd need to use them in the wrong spot to sit the seat more upright anyway.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Not sure what you mean by side? I'm installing it in the rear middle seat.

Thanks!

aporthole

It seems silly, but make sure you are parked on level ground when checking the install. I’ve had more than a few families have a face-palm moment when they realized they were checking the level while parked on their slopes driveway.

aporthole

Also, if you can grab a couple pictures of your install (a side profile shot of the base from outside the car as well as a picture of both level bubbles) that would be helpful. I’ve also seen some KeyFit bases with a defect where the air bubble is larger than normal on one or both sides of the base, which makes getting it between the lines more difficult or impossible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You cannot use the lower anchors and a Keyfit in the middle of your car.

By the side I meant the side of your car. If you want to use the lower anchors, you need to install on the side. You need to install with the seatbelt in the middle.

Try installing on the side and see if the recline is better.

But also make sure you're on level ground, as aporthole said. :)

Wendy

MelodyoftheForest

I am having brain fog, but doesn’t the bubble being toward the rear of the vehicle mean it is over reclined? If you lift the base a little by the edge closer to the front of the car, does it put the bubble in the right place? If so, you need to adjust the recline foot up into the base a notch or two. Just push the two buttons in the sides of the base near the belt path and gently push down on the base. There are two positions between all the way out and all the way in.

J

Jon T

Hi,

I have the keyfit 30 and im unable to get the base level in a 2017 CX5. The best we can get is the bubble is about 50 to 70% past the first line closest to the seatbacks. It looks like the adjustable recline doesnt go in the right direction and so only makes the leveling worse. Ive tried tightening the latches with my feet but this wont cut it. It seems like the only solution would be to put towels or something under the base which im sure is not tested.
I too am expecting and after reading about the middle being the safest place to place the seat I attempted to place the base in the middle of a 2020 Mazda CX-5 and I found the same issue. It seems that the front of the base needs to come up not the back. The back of the base is as low as it goes. Changing the drop out section only makes the base even more out of level. To me it seems a bad design for that middle seat. I have been searching the internet to try and find an answer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not every car seat is compatible with every seating position, unfortunately. The safest place in a vehicle is dependent on where you can get a proper install- it sounds like in your vehicle that's the outboard seat instead of the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC