Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Carseat configuration help! Dodge caravan

I need some help with carseat arrangement again. We have 4 kids in carseats in our 2013 Dodge Caravan. This summer we will have a teenager with us for a month and need to arrange our current carseats to fit her in our vehicle just for just that month. She can ride in the front seat while my hubby is at work but for family trips she'll need to be in back.
    Could someone help me please? I know the backseat tether is an issue but can I install differently or arrange seats to accomodate? I just need to fit all 5 and purchasing a new vehicle is not an option. And prefer to keep current carseats (if possible) as they are all fairly new 😜

Kid's ages & car seats.
    9 year old, 50lb, (just short of 4ft. About 46in). Graco Turbobooster
    6 year old, 35lb, 43in, Graco Nautilus65
    3.5 year old, 30lb, 37in, Graco Nautilus65 with safety surround, forward facing
    19mo old, 24lb, Chicco Nextfit zip - rear facing

Thanks so much for your help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Carseat configuration help! Dodge caravan

I don’t know offhand if any rear facing seats will work in your third row, but I’d try maybe a Cosco Scenera Next back there outboard, your narrowest ff seat in the center, and teen outboard. The belt fit for the teen is likely to be less than ideal but 3 across back there is a huge challenge. If you could fit an Evenflo Amo (highback) outboard with a ff seat in the center that would be better but involves buying at least 2 but probably 3 new seats.
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

CPS Fanatic

Carseat configuration help! Dodge caravan

None of your current car seats are particularly narrow, and going to need a very narrow 3 across in the 3rd row. Would you be ok with a couple new car if the total was about $70? A Cosco Scenera Next rear facing outboard for your youngest, plus a high back Evenflo Amp for your oldest (also outboard) with the teen in the middle should work.

ETA: simulpost! The Cosco Scenera NEXT works great 3rd row outboard, and belt fit for the teen will be way better center than outboard. Also, the Amp would be reasonable for the 6 year old, too.
    Last edited by lgenne; 05-05-2019 at 04:17 PM.

5. Thank You from: