Help with Booster for 7 yr old with hypotonia

sareva

We're still using our Frontiers (one is a ClickTight) in harness mode in a 2006 Mazda6 wagon and a 2009 Subaru Outback. I have a son who is going to be 8 in September, currently about 50 inches high and 54 pounds. He has a head that's large proportionally for his body (his 50-60% on growth charts but head 75%) and hypotonia. I saw the reporting about these seats but have decided not to change for now. And the reason is...

My one experiment in a Graco highback booster (during Christmas, in a relative's car) resulted in him falling asleep and his head flopping everywhere. It was terrible. I can't say for sure if it was the fit/angle of the seat or just that he's not ready developmentally for a HBB. My relative wasn't really open to my playing around with the seat in his car, and we needed to get on the road.

My son has severe dyspraxia so I'm always going to be helping him buckle his seat... I'm cool with that. It's the hypotonia and him being comfortable in hot Texas summers that has me flummoxed.

If you were moving out of Frontiers at this stage, I'm just wondering what others would do in our situation? One of our seats is older -- it's not expired, but I could justify a new seat at this point. My Mazda is getting to the end of its life but I'm babying it through another year or two -- it has deep seats & seatbelts that ride high on the body. Is there a HBB that can be angled a bit back and with more side support? Maybe that would help with his positioning and head?

My gut says that with hypotonia, I would need to find another harnessed booster, but a browse through my local Target offered options that seemed kind of small and uncomfortable for a growing boy who drives a lot with his mom in hot weather (it's not a Super Target, or even a particularly large one) -- Evenflo Maestro Harness, a Chicco MyFit Harness, and Graco Nautilus.

I appreciate any feedback/thoughts. Thanks!

ADS

aporthole

Is there a reason he needs to move out of the Frontiers? The Frontier is the highest capacity seat available outside of special needs seats.

You could try a booster with large/deep headwings like the Diono Monterey XT, Diono Everett NXT, Diono Cambria, Nuna Aace, Britax Highpoint, Britax Midpoint, or Britax Skyline. The Britax boosters have the SG crotch strap which can be nice if he tends to slouch.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The boosters with recline (which might help) have not got the best lateral support (which also might help.) The best compromise I can think of is the Peg Perego Flex 120 in narrow mode, but leg support isn't the greatest, you'd likely need to add some kind of lightweight item for a foot rest, and even so it's not a perfect solution.

If the Frontiers still fit I'd personally max them out. When he gets close by height if he's still having trouble with the hypotonia, I'd work with his team to get him a special needs booster with positioning harness.

If he needs extra cooling, you can consider cooling towels or possibly even something like a Noggle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC