Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

1999 Ford Explorer FF convertible car seat

We are flying to visit my inlaws for two weeks and will be using their 1999 Ford Explorer. Our just turned 4 year old is 40" and 32 lbs and rides FF. We have a Diono Radian and a Chicco Nextfit. We have traveled plenty with both seats. I have also thought of getting a light weight seat to use for travel. This trip has three flights each way so lots of getting on and off planes. I have seen mention of there being no top tether in the 99 Explorer. Is this true? Don't most convertible car seat require a tether in FF mode? What should I use? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 1999 Ford Explorer FF convertible car seat

Hi there!

Since you've traveled with both seats, I'd probably take the Radian, and assuming you have the rear facing pieces, pack them with you and simply use the seat rear facing when you get there. That removes the need for the forward facing tether.

A 1999 Ford Explorer does not have tethers. You can see if you can get them, but it's not likely anymore. Most have run out of parts. The tether part number is F17Z 78613D74A. Try mentioning program R7C. I don't know how long it takes, so your inlaws would have to do this before you get there.

You could try to see if your four year old fits rear facing in your NextFit and take that if you prefer (head contained within the shell). Either way. But I'd plan to rear face for the two weeks you're traveling. It's probably a lot more doable than trying to find the parts and getting a dealership to install a tether.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I'll use the Radian and rear face when we get there. Thank you so much! That was very helpful!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You're welcome! Have a wonderful trip.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785