Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Outback42

Tighten harness with arthritis

So my mom's arthritis is getting worse and a week ago when I pulled my D3 from the car seat in my mom's Subaru Outback, she was harnessed with enough slack to easily get my hand between the harness and her chest.

I've showed my mom and checked her out on getting my S4 or D3 tight in the past and thought she was. After talking with her, the problem is her arthritis and hand strength has gotten worse. Given that she's in her 70's it isn't unexpected.

Are there any tips or trips so that she can get my children safely buckled into the car seat in her car?

I hate the idea of telling her she can't take my kids places but if I can't figure out a way for her to buckle them in right, I'll have to.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: Tighten harness with arthritis

I’d teach the kids to get in and out without tightening/loosening - then she’ll only have to buckle them. How old are the kids? Are they old enough to start learning how to buckle themselves? I had great luck teaching my kids around age 5 - I brought the seat into the house and let them practice while they watched some TV. lol. (Got the idea from DS, who automatically buckled himself in any car seat I brought in the house.)
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: Tighten harness with arthritis

Also, what carseats is she dealing with? Some definitely have harder harnesses to tighten than others. One product that makes unbuckling easier is the Unbuckle Me: https://amzn.to/2PjGMVd.