Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Booster for small 7yo

My son is almost 8 but at 48 lbs and around 50”, is more like a 6yo size. My 2 Radians are nearing the end of their life so I’m going looking for a new seat. I had bought the Britax Frontier to keep him harnessed longer but after the consumer reports findings, I switched him to booster mode. But the headrest has to be down far enough that the belt didn’t slide through easily and was a pain. So I moved that to the least used vehicle and am now looking for 2 new seats.

SO... what are your recommendations for a booster seat for smaller kids? Or I’m not opposed to another combo seat.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Booster for small 7yo

I am really liking our turbobooster LX with Safety surround for my 8 year old. She’s almost outgrown it with the back (has another inch or so of torso growth) but she’s on the tall side. It fits her quite well and she finds it comfortable.

CCO 4/15

Moderator - CPS Technician

My skinny 7 year old has been riding in a Chicco KidFit for about a year now and it's worked great for her. The Britax (dedicated) boosters have a crotch strap that attaches to the vehicle lap belt if you think that would ease your mind in switching from harness to booster.
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

I don’t mind moving up from a harness. Last year when I bought the Frontier I didn’t think he was developmentally ready to sit in a booster (he has Trisomy 21). But now he is so it’s be nice to have a booster that is as simple as possible. Big brother has a Britax Parkway and the crotch strap thing gives my 7yo a little trouble. But do you think having that strap would be added benefit for him?

Moderator - CPS Technician

Not necessarily, I just wanted to point out that it’s an option in case you thought it sounded good. The Britax boosters can be used without, so they’re worth having on your list regardless.

When my kids have moved to boosters I’ve picked out a few options and let them choose their favorite from among those.
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

7. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

The Turbobooster (with and without safety surround) and Kidfit both fit my small kids really well.
    DD1: 13, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 9, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 6, ffing RA50

The KidFit fits small children amazingly well. We bought one back in 2015 for my oldest and played with it a bit. I actually put my teeny tiny 4 year old in it just to see. She fit beautifully in it, which was a little terrifying because I know kids her age and size get put in boosters but for extraordinarily small children who are older and developmentally ready for a booster, it is a great choice and a wonderful option.

10. Thank You from: