Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

5 pt booster with no tether?

Hello, this site has proven to be such a help for me, so thank you! I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 and since my third row has no tether anchors I was wondering if there are any 5 pt booster seats that do not need a tether and can install with only a seatbelt? My 5 year old is not yet ready to be in seatbelt only booster.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: 5 pt booster with no tether?

There are some that do not absolutely require the tether be used (for instance the Chicco Myfit), but using a tether increases the safety significantly. Is there any way that you can rearrange seats so that the child can ride in a seating location that does have a tether anchor?

ETA: Chicco MyFit was just an example; there are other options as well. If there's a particular seat you're wondering about you can google the manual and check. Two whose rules I know off the top of my head are Britax Frontier (requires it only above a child weight of 65#) and the Cosco Finale (requires the tether be used at all times).
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Thank you so much for the reply! I currently have him tethered in the second row in a peg perego convertible, we have three across in the second row. We are considering other cars (lease is up in a few months) and I wanted to see what all of our possible options are, one of them being keeping the same kind of car- so I wanted to see if we’d be able to use our third row. We do a lot of long car trips so we are Looking for something that makes it possible to use a third row.
    Last edited by CAPSM; 04-10-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Last sentence needs to be reworded

Moderator - CPS Technician

Got it! 3 across is challenging. If it were me, I would try putting someone else in the third row before using a forward facing harnessed seat untethered, but of course that decision is up to you!
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava