5 pt booster with no tether?

CAPSM

Hello, this site has proven to be such a help for me, so thank you! I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 and since my third row has no tether anchors I was wondering if there are any 5 pt booster seats that do not need a tether and can install with only a seatbelt? My 5 year old is not yet ready to be in seatbelt only booster.

ADS

jjordan

There are some that do not absolutely require the tether be used (for instance the Chicco Myfit), but using a tether increases the safety significantly. Is there any way that you can rearrange seats so that the child can ride in a seating location that does have a tether anchor?

ETA: Chicco MyFit was just an example; there are other options as well. If there's a particular seat you're wondering about you can google the manual and check. Two whose rules I know off the top of my head are Britax Frontier (requires it only above a child weight of 65#) and the Cosco Finale (requires the tether be used at all times).

CAPSM

Thank you so much for the reply! I currently have him tethered in the second row in a peg perego convertible, we have three across in the second row. We are considering other cars (lease is up in a few months) and I wanted to see what all of our possible options are, one of them being keeping the same kind of car- so I wanted to see if we’d be able to use our third row. We do a lot of long car trips so we are Looking for something that makes it possible to use a third row.

Last edited:

jjordan

Got it! 3 across is challenging. If it were me, I would try putting someone else in the third row before using a forward facing harnessed seat untethered, but of course that decision is up to you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC