Question Turning a Big 2 Year Old? Evenflo Tribute

U

Unregistered

My 24 month old is a little over 31 lbs and 36 inches, so definitely on the big side. He rides in an Evenflo Tribute in our babysitter’s car. His shoulders have grown an inch or more above the seat’s third harness slot (highest RF slot), but they’re a little below the top slot (for FF only). We have to maneuver him around quite a bit to get him in RF now too. I know AAP upped its recommendations to RF to the limits of the seat (40 lbs I think). Would turning him FF now be too soon? Should we buy a different convertible seat? Thanks

ADS

jjordan

This is something that only you can decide. It sounds like he does have some growing room, weight-wise, for rear facing, though you’ll also want to double-check that he has adequate room above his head (at least 1” of seat shell). Legally no states require rf past the 2nd birthday so if you choose to turn him now you can do so. The AAP and other safety organizations have long recommended rf to the limits of the seat, but we don’t have studiess telling us how much safer it is. Is it safer? Yes, but the most important thing you can do is use the seat correctly, regardless of what direction it faces.

Buying a new seat is certainly an option, and based on him having only a small amount of growing room even for ff, you should know that time is coming sooner rather than later. If you buy a larger convertible you can contimue to use it rf for another year or more and then ff until he is booster ready in a few years. Alternately if you are comfortable ff him, your next seat could be a ff only seat that is used with a harness now and a belt-positioning booster later.

Personally if this were my situation I’d buy another convertible and keep him rf for at least another year, but again, this is a decision for you to make. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC