Question Chicco Myfit in a 2006 Impala with fixed headrests

TexasWexus

We just got a 2006 Chevy Impala with the fixed headrests. My daughter is 22 months, 27.5lbs and 35in, currently rear facing in an Graco Extend2fit most of the time, front facing only when I am driving alone (we avoid leaving the house without dad right now to make this as little as possible as I understand it isn't safe). The vehicle is still in the shop at my husbands workplace, and I had him test the install in my car front facing on recline 4, and he said he couldn't get it. I did some research and realized most seats have an issue with the attached headrests.

My husband's car is a 1998 Maxima (tether is retrofitted) his vehicle also has the attached headrests but they are almost flush with the seat and we didn't notice any issues with it and install.

My sister bought a Myfit for her for when she turns two, will this seat install properly? We don't have any ability to get a new seat right now, and when I get my car I will not be able to sit in the back with her to deter her from unbuckling.

I have contacted Graco and two CPSTs and while I understand she is safer rear facing, she is not safe when I can't see her after she has escaped again. I bought the Extend2fit to keep her rear facing forever, but my child and the universe matched us with an incredibly smart child and a car that doesn't play well with mirrors and car seats due to the headrests.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Judging by photos I found, I would be surprised if the MyFit would work in the Impala. Depending on how tall the seat back is, an Evenflo SureRide might fit under the head restraints.

As for keeping your child buckled, maybe you could try the trick where you put an open button-up shirt on the child, buckle and tighten the harness, then button the shirt over the harness. Also, keep talking about how the harness keeps them safe. Maybe have a special car toy that gets switched out often to occupy those little hands. You could also allow the child to unbuckle when you say it’s safe to do so.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My daughter is 22 months, 27.5lbs and 35in, currently rear facing in an Graco Extend2fit most of the time, front facing only when I am driving alone (we avoid leaving the house without dad right now to make this as little as possible as I understand it isn't safe).

Hello,

I can't say for certain about your vehicle-carseat combination without seeing it in person. I would definitely suggest seeing a local CPST if you cannot get it to work.

As for front-facing, I did want to comment that it is very incorrect if you have heard that this is unsafe for a typical 22-month, 27 pound child. As long as your child is within any limits set by the owner's manual and state law, then front facing is a safe option for your child. There is no compelling real-world data showing front-facing to be unsafe compared to rear-facing.

On the other hand, crash physics and experience in other countries does suggest that rear-facing is a safer option when possible. How much safer, it is impossible to say. I know this doesn't help you if neither seat works front-facing and rear-facing is a problem as well. If you are her primary driver, can you trade cars until you can find a car seat that works in your vehicle?

TexasWexus

Well that’s unfortunate because we can’t return it and she’ll be making payments on a seat we can’t even use 😩

I tried the button up shirt trick in Feb, she ripped the shirt and by the time we pulled over she was chewing on a button, the ER said they don’t think she swallowed any but I didn’t find one of the buttons. Honestly I never want to leave the house again because this whole situation terrifies me.

We don’t have anything to put towards a new seat, and I wish we could have picked it out at buy buy baby or something so we could test it out first, but my sister jumped the gun and ordered her favorite seat for us. I am honestly beginning to become overwhelmed realizing that I finally have a car after 2 years and I still won’t be able leave the house without somebody else with us, and that’s almost never an option anymore with my husbands medical issues.

TexasWexus

My husbands car is on the brink of breaking down, so he refuses to let us drive in it alone. His car is next to be overhauled when we can scrape together the money, but that’s likely far off at this point.

I am very accustomed to being judged for my choice of front facing right now, but honestly it is absolutely safer than her potentially escaping again.

I have done so much research seeking seats that for sure work in this vehicle front facing and can’t find much of anything. It’s like nobody has had children in this car! And unfortunately I didn’t have any choice in the matter as we picked it up for $500 and my husband is a mechanic at Chevrolet so we got a good car for very cheap once it’s finished.

MelodyoftheForest

I would try installing the MyFit when you can, without removing any tags. If it doesn't work, you or your sister could sell it as new and use that money toward a seat that will work. If you have a BBB, you can try seats without buying. If not, you can buy, try, and return from Target, WalMart, etc. Some combination seats sit pretty low and have non-adjustable head sections. For example, the Evenflo Maestro Sport or the Cosco Finale come to mind. These and the SureRide are all much more affordable than the MyFit, so what you get for selling it should cover any one of those if they work.

TexasWexus

The seat is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow, my plan is to take it up to the shop Wednesday and try it myself to see what magic I may be able to work. We can’t sell the seat or return it because it’s “lease-to-own” online so we don’t own it and it’s a 3rd party company so they said no returns either.

I have also been told that the finale doesn’t work, a friends daughter that sometimes rides with us has one and they can’t ride in an other friends Impala because the seat doesn’t fit.

I contacted a non profit through the hospital that gives a class and a free seat, but it’s either a scenera next which she’s outgrown forward facing, or a finale which not only doesn’t work but has a 30lb minimum which my daughter may not meet for 3-6+ months.

The only seats I’ve heard are guaranteed to fit are the britax combination seats and the Nautilus which I would have preferred even if it isn’t 3-across friendly. If the Chicco doesn’t fit I may have to figure out how to get ahold of a Nautilus. I’m hoping if I call the company and plead they will figure out how to process a return or exchange, pending the myfits fit in the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I found that lower profile convertible seats worked there. Just barely. Possibly an Evenflo Sonus might work? We got a Safety 1st Complete Air in. So the Safety 1st Guide 65 might also do. Many companies offer easy returns if a seat doesn't work.

Give the MyFit a try, you never know.

TexasWexus

For the record (since I couldn’t find the info myself) the Chicco didn’t fit in my 2006 Impala LS. The company is allowing us to return it, we just need to pay shipping.

I got so excited because it fit on recline 1, but as soon as I raised my daughters headrest the two headrests didn’t play well together.

The last of the parts for the vehicle are coming in tomorrow, as long as my husband has time I should have my car next weekend to go to buy buy baby and test seats, Pending nothing else goes wrong with the car! Lol.

The only thing I’m worried about is if they’ll have a Maestro in stock for me to test, as it’s the only one that probably won’t completely break us on this check. If not then I guess I’ll get more mirrors and try to see if any of them work better. We’ve tried 2 more and I’m wondering if something is wrong with the back windshield because they won’t stay on.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At her size a convertible really might be feasible (the ones mentioned above are under $100.) The Maestro sits high enough I have my doubts though it's worth a shot. A smaller seat might fit a lot better.

TexasWexus

I have been in contact with Graco, and they said the Tranzitions/wayz as well as the Nautilus allows the gap between the vehicle seat and the car seat that I am worried about, but only in harness mode. When it comes time to booster, I guess we will need to go straight to a no back booster. We still have a while before that though, so I will keep looking and see if anything changes.

MelodyoftheForest

Many allow a gap in harnessed mode, but it sounds like you may run into a problem similar to the MyFit if you choose a seat with an adjustable head section. Namely, the main shell installs below the vehicle head restraints but the head of the seat cannot be raised much or at all.

In my 2017 Corolla that has integrated, forward-leaning head restraints, I found the Britax combination seats work, as do the Essentials by Britax convertibles. There could be differences in seat back angle and height that mean they wouldn’t work for you, but they seem to have the largest distance between the back of the main shell and the back of the moving head portion. Of course, these aren’t budget seats like some mentioned in other replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC