Question Unicorn hunting: Narrow 5-point harness seat with high max shoulder harness height

shikataganai

Hello all, I'm hunting a bit of a unicorn. I was hoping someone might know of a product that matches my wants.

Background:

- 3 kids: 6, just shy of 4, infant
- kids are long but skinny. 6 year old is currently right at a 17" shoulder height, ~4 year old at 15.25"
- trying to get seats 3 wide in a Tesla Model 3, which has poor seat buckle access that would make a booster very difficult to use even with a narrow Clek Fllo in the middle. See photo:

jzagwS2h.jpg

Since my 6 year old will be too long by next season for the usual choices (Clek Fllo and Foonf in particular at 17", and the Radians soon to be outgrown at 17.5") and buckle access means that a high back booster would be infeasible (and extensions are verboten, right?) I'm therefore hunting for a bit of a unicorn. That'd be a front-facing seat with 5 point harness, as close to 17" width as possible for 3-across, and with a max harness height of at least 18".

The closest I can find is the Britax Frontier Clicktight. It goes up to 20.5" harness height and is 19" width, which is better than the massive Britax Pinnacle Clicktight seats the elder two kids are currently in, at least:

t6kLygDh.jpg

(The astute viewer will note from the first photo that we indeed have a minivan in the background in the garage, one which has no seat fitment issues. It's FWD, though, and I'm trying to see if there's a way that we could all cram into my AWD for ski trips--I'm in Denver. If no unicorns exist I'm resigned to take the minivan and skip out on powder days.)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey there.

Your carseats don't allow the sheet under them. Neither Clek nor Britax do.

Chicco MyFit. About 17.5" wide, 19.5" top harness height.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC