Question Best rear facing infant seat for a minicooper hardtop

U

Unregistered

We are expecting our first child, due a month from now, and really need to find a rear facing infant seat that fits in my 2013 2-door mini hardtop. We bought a Britax Ulra Safe, but installed on the base the passenger seat needs to be all the way forward and the back totally upright, or it touches the car seat. We went for a 20 minute drive like this, and I was so uncomfortable sitting in that passenger seat! What can you recommend for an infant seat that can fit more easily and work well for a newborn in the Mini?

As an added piece, we were just gifted a used Uppababy CRUZ. It would be an extra benefit if the seat could work with the stroller. We are happy to buy the adapter.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The most compact rear-facing only seat is the Cybex Aton. After that the Chicco Keyfit is a very compact option.

Another option is a convertible seat- the Combi Coccoro is very compact and usually works from birth.

I've not put any of these in your vehicle (though I have worked in one), but they are all much more compact than what you have now and may be worth trying.

While a travel system with car seat clicking into stroller is convenient for quick in and out type trips or getting through the airport, remember that it isn't something to use all the time, and babies must be closely watched at all times when in the car seat outside of the car. :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you! This is really helpful. I like the idea of the convertible seat if it will last us longer.

Is there any trade off with safety or convienience to go with convertible vs the infant seat? How much longer would the Combi be likely to last us?

Do you know the measurements front to back of the Combi in its newborn position, the KeyFit and the Cybex?

Thanks so much!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The front to back will vary when installed in various cars. But, the Keyfit or Coccoro should give you about 2 inches more space than what you have in. The Aton (Not Q or cloud Q mind you) gives an additional 1 inch over that, generally.

The Coccoro is not as tall as most convertibles. You'd still want another rear-facing convertible after that unless you have a very very very small child. It is less convenient in some ways but more in others; I personally would rather slide a front seat back holding the baby, load in and slide back up than try to reach a bucket in and out in a 2 door. No safety difference in a convertible from birth as long as fit is good.

If you want something longer lasting there are some other convertible options though they may take up a bit more room.

Also, make sure the front seat is upright as possible. I forgot mention this but not only is it safer for the passenger, it will give a lot of room compared to reclined.

MelodyoftheForest

When I took the CPST course in the fall of 2013, one of my classmates had a Mini that she allowed us to practice in. I think it was a 2-door, but I am not completely sure. She had a Cocorro that I think she used from her child's birth, and it worked well for her!

U

Unregistered

I helped a VERY pregnant friend install a Cybex Aton in the back of her mini convertible.

The front seat was fine for me at 5’6” but probably wouldn’t have been as comfortable for someone over 5’8” she is only 5’2” and when riding as the passenger is very comfortable.

Now that the baby is here they are using the car regularly. It, obviously, isn’t as convenient as a minivan, but is working well while she finishes her last year of graduate school.

Her husband has a small pickup truck with no back seat, so her car is the “family hauler” for when they all go together.

She uses a Mountain Buggy Nano stroller and it works well with the Aton. She puts the compactly folded stroller on the floor behind the driver’s seat and buckles in the diaper bag, in the backseat, behind the driver.

L

Lindsey B

We are expecting our first child, due a month from now, and really need to find a rear facing infant seat that fits in my 2013 2-door mini hardtop. We bought a Britax Ulra Safe, but installed on the base the passenger seat needs to be all the way forward and the back totally upright, or it touches the car seat. We went for a 20 minute drive like this, and I was so uncomfortable sitting in that passenger seat! What can you recommend for an infant seat that can fit more easily and work well for a newborn in the Mini?

As an added piece, we were just gifted a used Uppababy CRUZ. It would be an extra benefit if the seat could work with the stroller. We are happy to buy the adapter.

Thanks for your help!
Can you let me know what car seat you ended up using? I also have a 2-door 2013 Mini Hardtop, my child is due in November and all I can find are recommendations from people who haven't actually used car seats in Minis themselves!

MelodyoftheForest

Hi Lindsey! I doubt the OP will see this as it's an old thread and they were a guest. Some new seats have come out since this thread was active, but the recommended seats are still available. If you'd like more personalized recommendations, please start a new thread that includes your budget and we can get you more personalized recommendations.

V

VTar

Hi Lindsey! I doubt the OP will see this as it's an old thread and they were a guest. Some new seats have come out since this thread was active, but the recommended seats are still available. If you'd like more personalized recommendations, please start a new thread that includes your budget and we can get you more personalized recommendations.
I can repost this elsewhere if need be but wanted to share that we used the UppaBaby infant car seat in our 2013 MINI Cooper S hard top coupe for the first 1.5 years of our son’s life. When we were testing car seats at Buy Buy Baby, we found it to be the easiest carseat to get in and out of the backseat (compared to Chicco, Graco and Doona modes we also tried). It also ensured the most amount of space/comfort in the passenger seat. The seat fit with the Uppa Baby Cruz stroller which we also found to fit best in the Mini’s trunk, again compared to other stroller models we tested.

R

Rick

I’m late to the party, but I just discovered the Evenflo Revolve 360 Slim, and hope it helps others as well. It fits perfectly in the back of my 09 Mini Cooper Convertible, and spins, so I can easily put the little one in before spinning her to rear-facing. Drawback: it’s not rated as a booster seat, but I won’t have to worry about that for years.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We have some info on the revolving car seats here-

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC