Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Carseat for someone who does not have a car

Hello! My sister is expecting her first baby. She does not have a car and does not plan on getting one. However, she does Uber or rent cars from time to time. Does anyone have any infant seat recommendations for this situation? I was thinking Fit2 because it will last the longest while being able to be put on a stroller. Do I have the right idea with that? Any other suggestions? The stroller she is looking at is the Uppababy Vista... Does the Fit2 work well with this? Thanks!
    Last edited by someonenamedleah; 03-16-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Can't spell

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Carseat for someone who does not have a car

The Fit2 does have the option of European belt routing, which can make a baseless install easier, but it is a rather heavy seat. I see that the Uppababy stroller has the possibility of adapters for Chicco, but it also comes with a bassinet, which is a better way for a young baby to ride in a stroller than a car seat.

How often does your sister use a car for transportation? If not all that often, a Cisco Scenera Next might be the better option as it should last longer than the Fit2 rear-facing while weighing and costing much less. It is a convertible seat, but baby canít be in either seat while it is being installed, so I donít think much is lost there. The Next may even fit in the strollerís giant basket.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Why would baby not be in the Fit2 while it's installed?

I agree the Scenera Next is a good option if they'd be open to a convertible, as long as the cars they'd be in would have room for the newborn recline. Cabs with barriers might be a problem, for instance. Or very small cars if someone needs to ride up front.

Do they usually use cabs/rideshares, or would they mostly be riding with a friend or borrowing a friend's car when they're in one?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, arriving May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Why would baby not be in the Fit2 while it's installed?
    I guess that's my personal experience. I wasn't able to comfortably do a baseless install of my KeyFit in while it was occupied, but maybe that was just me! I also didn't think of vehicles with barriers, so I appreciate your very experienced point of view!

Perhaps there is another RFO seat that is lighter weight and maybe less expensive that will last a baby until it can be more upright? I just can't imagine lugging my kid in a bucket at age 2, and V was only 20-22 pounds then! It seems like a pricier seat like the Fit2 that has lots of great features on the base would be kind of wasted on occasional use with baseless installs. Does the current Urbini RFO seat still have European belt path routing?

Ok, I need to go to bed...
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I am not sure on the Urbini baseless install currently.

I always installed baseless with the baby in the seat (which is significantly easier with Euro routing in my experience.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, arriving May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!