Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Unicorn hunting: Narrow 5-point harness seat with high max shoulder harness height

Hello all, I'm hunting a bit of a unicorn. I was hoping someone might know of a product that matches my wants.

Background:

- 3 kids: 6, just shy of 4, infant
    - kids are long but skinny. 6 year old is currently right at a 17" shoulder height, ~4 year old at 15.25"
    - trying to get seats 3 wide in a Tesla Model 3, which has poor seat buckle access that would make a booster very difficult to use even with a narrow Clek Fllo in the middle. See photo:

Since my 6 year old will be too long by next season for the usual choices (Clek Fllo and Foonf in particular at 17", and the Radians soon to be outgrown at 17.5") and buckle access means that a high back booster would be infeasible (and extensions are verboten, right?) I'm therefore hunting for a bit of a unicorn. That'd be a front-facing seat with 5 point harness, as close to 17" width as possible for 3-across, and with a max harness height of at least 18".

The closest I can find is the Britax Frontier Clicktight. It goes up to 20.5" harness height and is 19" width, which is better than the massive Britax Pinnacle Clicktight seats the elder two kids are currently in, at least:

(The astute viewer will note from the first photo that we indeed have a minivan in the background in the garage, one which has no seat fitment issues. It's FWD, though, and I'm trying to see if there's a way that we could all cram into my AWD for ski trips--I'm in Denver. If no unicorns exist I'm resigned to take the minivan and skip out on powder days.)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Unicorn hunting: Narrow 5-point harness seat with high max shoulder harness height

Hey there.

Your carseats don't allow the sheet under them. Neither Clek nor Britax do.

Chicco MyFit. About 17.5" wide, 19.5" top harness height.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Re: Unicorn hunting: Narrow 5-point harness seat with high max shoulder harness height

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Hey there.

Your carseats don't allow the sheet under them. Neither Clek nor Britax do.

Chicco MyFit. About 17.5" wide, 19.5" top harness height.

Wendy
    Thanks! I'll take out that sheet, too.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You're very welcome!!

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic