Question RF Chicco Keyfit 30 in a 2001 Infiniti - Shoulder belt to center receiver?

JonWolf

Hi, I am trying to install a RF Chicco Keyfit 30 base in a 2001 infiniti i30, 1 year before the LATCH system was built-in.
When I install the base with the right-rear shoulder belt, the receiver/buckle extends too far, and I am unable to use the belt lock on the car seat base.
However, if I use the right shoulder belt and cross over to the center receiver/buckle, it works just fine. I am able to lock the belt with both the seat belt lock and the car seat base.
The base is stable, with less than an inch of movement left, right, or forward.
When I went to have the installation inspected, they won't sign off because this not a listed method in the vehicle or car seat manual.
Do you think there is anything inherently unsafe about using the right shoulder belt clicked in to the center receiver?
It is a positive connection to the vehicle, without compromising and components (such as twisting the cord to the buckle).
Please let me know what you think or any suggestions.
Thank you,
Jonathan

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Jonathan,

The techs you saw were correct. You must use the buckle for the position you are installing. You cannot use the middle buckle for a side position. You also don't lock the belt AND the lockoff. Just the lockoff. You CAN twist the female end of the buckle up to three full twists to lower down the receiving end. Why don't you try that on the passenger side instead of using the center buckle? Or, just install in the center if that works better (that's the safest position in the vehicle anyway).

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is technically possible to get a secure installation in a manner that is not consistent with instructions for the child safety seat and/or vehicle. The problem is that these methods are not tested in any manner. You'd essentially be using your child as the crash test dummy.

As Wendy said, in some vehicles, it may be acceptable to "twist" a flexible belt buckle receiver to shorten it. This should not be done if prohibited in an owner's manual and usually no more than 3 twists is the rule-of-thumb.

The center seating position is also a good option to try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC