Which combination car seat brands use a V shaped tether?

U

Unregistered

We're looking for a new combination car seat, and I'm encountering a challenge in my research. We have a 2017 Toyota Camry, with non-removable headrests. I read that we'd need a car seat with a V shaped tether to go around, rather than over the headrests. I have tried to figure out which car seat brands have a V shaped tether, and the only one I can find is Britax. Unfortunately, we have used a Britax Frontier in this car, and we have had lots of trouble tightening the harness straps. Do you know if there are other companies that use a V shaped harness?

If not, are there any solutions you have encountered to the harness straps tightening problem in the Britax Frontier? Thanks for your help!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As far as I know Britax is it. However, you don't actually need a v tether. You can simply route a straight tether over the center of the headrest, as your manual shows.

The Frontier can be tough to tighten when installed. It can help to make sure the straps are fully tightened before installing so they are less likely to get caught sometimes, but many people simply don't loosen and tighten each time, just check that the tightness is still appropriate and make small adjustments as needed.

MelodyoftheForest

I have a Corolla of the same year and while you do not need a V shaped tether, I found that Britax was the only brand of combination seat that fit with the headrests. I don’t know if the Camry seats are different enough to allow other brands or not. We have a Pioneer and have no issues with tightening the harness straps, but the install is not as easy.

MelodyoftheForest

Things will fit in the center because of the adjustable, removable, and flat head restraint there, but it makes the outboard seats uncomfortable for an adult. I spent lots of time at BRU last spring trying everything they had, and couldn't make anything work outboard other than the Pioneer. Others I could maybe install, but couldn't raise the head rest of the seat all the way because of interference with the vehicle head restraint. That is just my experience, and could absolutely be different in other situations. I don't know what little things might change from year to year that could make a difference.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your responses. I've come to understand that the bigger issue than the tether strap is the compatibility of car seats with non-removable headrests. I emailed with a CPST, who told me that Graco seats are okay with the headrest pushing the combination seat forward. But, I looked at user manuals for the Graco Atlas and Nautilus SnugLock, and found that they do not allow the headrest to push the seat forward. The CPST also said that Britax isn't compatible with non-removable headrests, but I just looked at the Britax Pioneer manual, and it says nothing about not installing where there is a headrest. So, I am thoroughly confused. Can anyone please help?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The best thing to do is go to a store, try individual seats in your vehicle (if you have a Buy Buy Baby, they allow this), and see what works. If you aren't sure, take a picture and contact the company directly. The information you're getting secondhand doesn't match what I've been told by the companies before. Sometimes an exception can be approved based on individual fit, but you have to contact the manufacturer directly.

U

Unregistered

I’m running into the very same issue with my 2016 Camry. We have the Graco convertible car seat and while people are saying to put the latch over the seat headrest I also read that in an accident it could shift so I was looking into the V-shaped tether as well. Have you had any luck finding a car seat that works?

MelodyoftheForest

The only seats I found that didn’t run into problems with the outboard head restraints in my 2017 Corolla were the Britax combination seats (DualFit, Pioneer, Frontier, Pinnacle) and what are now the Essentials by Britax convertibles (Emblem, Allegiance). They all happen to have V-shaped tethers as well.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC