Question Toddler unlocking car seat when driving

U

Unregistered

Hi, my 17 month only has learned how to unlock her chest strap and wiggle out of her seat belts in her car seat. Her sister carseated in next to her is screaming and cannot get it back mid drive. I had too many emergency stops today! Any advise? Can I super glue the chest clip?

Info:
17months
24 lbs
Rear facing
Graco forever
Chest clip
Sits 3 across (big sisters 5 years old, 40lbs in dionos on driver seat and center) toddler is in passenger side. I know it’s not the best but for loading into the suv it’s the only way my body can do it.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. Kids do this for a variety of reasons from being annoying little turds to trying to make themselves comfortable because their carseat isn't adjusted properly. Let's look at how the carseat is adjusted first to make sure it isn't a comfort issue.

• Harness strap slots: her harness straps should be coming from just at or below her shoulders. If they're too low on the 4Ever, the sides of the headwings will be crammed into her shoulders.
  • Harness tightness: the straps should be snug enough so that you can't take a horizontal pinch in them above the chest clip. If they're too tight, kids who have sensory issues will feel crushed. If they're too loose, they're too easy to get out of and a child can fly out of a seat in a crash. I'll post a graphic to show how to do the pinch test.
  • Chest clip: should be right at armpits.

OK, fitment is out of the way. If this is a developmental issue and she's discovered a new "skill" (yay!), tell her she can only help buckle and unbuckle when she's getting in and out of the seat at stops then reward her. It's a bit like dog training, lol. Keep busy toys in the car that she can play with only on drives and switch them out so she doesn't get bored with them. It will take a bit of persistence on your part, but hopefully she'll start playing along with you and be your ally in this :).

Attachments

• Pinch Test.jpg
    Pinch Test.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC