Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Booster question

So we're the proud new owners of a Chicco KidFit. Long story. LOL.

Anyways, it'll have to be our travel seat. Talk me through how I should carry it onto an airplane. I know boosters can't be used in the airplane seat itself.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Booster question

Are you planning on using it backless at your destination or are you trying to take the whole thing? If backless, the booster might fit under the seat in front of your child or you can put it in the overhead bin.

If you want to take the whole thing, you carry on the backless portion and then try to pack the back in your checked luggage. Put it in the middle of a suitcase with clothing around it to protect it.

Once my kids are able to ride in a booster, we travel with the backless, even though they ride in a highback at home until 7-8ish.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

She's just new to booster mode. My only hesitation of only taking the butt portion is that it's her Make a Wish trip and we're going to Disneyworld. We will have to drive 20-30 minutes to get back to Give Kids the World every night after the parks and I'm concerned of what will happen if she falls asleep without the back part of the seat. I guess I could sit back there with her but I don't want to have to do that unless it's absolutely necessary.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I agree with checking the back portion well-padded with clothes in a suitcase and carrying the bottom. Then if it gets lost or damaged and you don't think she can manage backless, you can always go get a cheap high back for the rest of the trip.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Does she still fit in the securekid you mentioned in your other thread harnessed? If so, you might consider taking that instead. She could sit in it on the plane and if you have issues installing it when you get there, you could use it as a booster if necessary.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

I suppose we could use the SecureKid as a booster, but put the whole thing in our carseat bag. She won't sit in a car seat on the plane. She's 5.5, but at the upper end of the percentile (like high 90's...and actually during our trip she'll be nearly 6), so she fits in the plane seat, she knows she fits in the plane seat, and it's not worth the argument with her. Even times when we took the SecureKid as a harnessed seat, we'd do that. I know gate checking it isn't the best idea, but we weighed the options and it was always in the best interest for our situation. I hate the SecureKid as a booster though. I hate the way it bunches the seatbelt at path nearest the seat belt buckle...where you have to put the shoulder strap and the lap strap together through there. I can get over it for a week. That's a really great idea. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

My concern with that plan is that if it gets damaged (about 2/3 of gate-checked seats I see have visible damage) or lost (rarer but happens) you have nothing to get you to the next spot safely. If you carry on the backless portion even if the back is damaged at least you have something safe to use immediately.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!