HBB for older kiddo

MyKidsFlip

I have a petite 9yr old, 4' and 54lbs. She had been in a Britax Parkway SGL. We just bought a 2014 Mazda3 and I'm in the market for a new booster for her. The vehicle seat has a very good recline to it, so we tried using her seat as a backless booster. She is a major car sleeper and we are in the car for over an hour 4x a week, each way at night. So she needs to be able to sleep. She was miserable in the backless and ended up slumped over the armrest. When I tried installing it with the back, it was completely upright due to the head rest on the vehicle. I haven't yet checked to see if I can flip it backwards, but raising the headrest did not help.

So, I am looking for a latchable booster with recline feature that can be used with the seat not sitting flush against the vehicle seat. Is the Peg Perego the only option? I like the idea of the flex and no armrests to make buckling easier for her, but at $300 for a 9yr old, I'm struggling. LOL I know Peg Perego also has a HBB 120 that is another contender and is a little more budget friendly. The Clek is not an option due to the short seat depth, not to mention, hefty price tag. The Nuna looks huge and I don't see it fitting well in my small back seat.

Are there other options I'm missing?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! Vehicle headrests have been an issue for years—you'd think carseat manufacturers would design around them by now. My first thought wasn't a highback booster, it was the Cardiff Travel Headrest: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOP6HV...9171-e3aeffaff044&ie=UTF8&qid=1549484391&sr=1. I used it for years when we'd travel, but I don't know how it would work for you on a more frequent basis. It's pretty easy to lift the wings up out of the way. Unless they use longer J-screws now, it might be challenging to install it (in other words, not something I'd want to do on a daily basis; just leave it on the headrest).

MyKidsFlip

In looking at the photos, and comparing them to my cars interior, I don't think they will work. The shoulder belt has a plastic guide that comes out from the top of the seat that won't give enough clearance to fit the bar that the wings attach to. Otherwise, this was a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion.

abigaylebelle

Is the headrest removable at all? I think that the 2014 Mazda 3 was one that was removable. If so, I’d try your parkway in high back mode without the headrest on.

If it is not removable I think you will have a hard time finding something that fits well. The Britax frontier and Graco Nautilus usually work okay with forward headrests since the headrest of the child seat is set forward of the shell. I’m not sure I would want to buy one for a nine year old but they are less expensive than the peg flex or the Clek Oobr.

MyKidsFlip

Is the headrest removable at all? I think that the 2014 Mazda 3 was one that was removable. If so, I’d try your parkway in high back mode without the headrest on.

If it is not removable I think you will have a hard time finding something that fits well. The Britax frontier and Graco Nautilus usually work okay with forward headrests since the headrest of the child seat is set forward of the shell. I’m not sure I would want to buy one for a nine year old but they are less expensive than the peg flex or the Clek Oobr.

I found out that it is removable, however, the vehicle manual states that if the seat is occupied, the headrest must be used. At the moment, I put it on backwards, even though it isn't "locked" in place...it can't come off unless the vehicle seat is tilted forward. So for the moment, this is my solution until I decide what to do. I'm leaning towards the Flex. I have a coupon that brings the price down significantly. The Frontier would never work as it is too wide and would be impossible for her to buckle.

MyKidsFlip

Update: We went with the Peg Perego Flex. It has been 100% worth every penny. She comfortably sleeps in the reclined position now that she knows how to adjust it on her own (took her a couple days to figure it out). Loves the ease of buckling that no arm rests offer. And with the design of the seat, the head rests on my vehicle are not a problem! It is a win all the way around! I also love how easy the latch system works on this. I got the matching no back Peg booster for my tiny 11yr old son. The rigid latch is absolutely amazing.

I have pics, but for some reason, can't upload them via my phone. I may try again!

aporthole

Glad the Peg is working well for her. Just for future note, Mazda has clarified in the LATCH Manual that removable head restraints may be removed and securely stowed if they interfere with proper car seat or booster fit/installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC