Seat for 18 month old in Africa

abigaylebelle

Friends of mine live in East Africa and are visiting the U.S. soon. They have an 18 month old daughter who has outgrown her infant only seat. So she needs a new car seat for the trip and also to last when she is back home in Africa.

I don’t know if the car has latch or locking seatbelts as some cars there do not. What seat would you recommend for them? Bonus if it has a long expiration so that mutiple children will be able to use it. Thanks in advance!

ADS

abigaylebelle

Budget is flexible but let’s say under $300. The baby is average sized, about 80cm and 11kg. Given her parents’ size I would venture a guess that she will be slender and about average height.

jjordan

Are they needing to buy it in Africa or do they have a way of getting a US seat to them there? (When you say they need it for the trip, I'm not sure if you mean the trip to get to the US or the trip as in, while they're here.)

abigaylebelle

Sorry, I mean that they will be traveling to the U.S. and buying the seat here, then bringing it back with them to Kenya. I don’t know what seat, if any, they will use on the flight from Kenya to the U.S.

Do the Graco all in one seats include locking clips? Or maybe a Britax ClickTight convertible would work? I’m hoping whatever seat I recommend to them will get their daughter to age 5-6 so they can just get a booster down the road when they visit again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just about all of the Gracos would require a locking clip

A Britax ClickTight wouldn't, and they're tall enough to get their daughter to probably that booster age, since it sounds like she's not very tall.

Wendy

jjordan

If they own a car and won't be moving the seat around a lot, I probably would lean strongly toward something with a lockoff (like Britax Clicktight) even though it will be heavy for the flight back to Kenya. Unfortunately all the convertibles with lockoffs that will last a long time are similarly heavy! Here is a helpful list. seats with lockoffs

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC