booster suggestions

Angie

In my husband's truck (not the primary family vehicle), we've been using a Chicco Nextfit forward facing. My daughter is about to outgrow it just in torso height. She is 5 years old, 45" and 55# but she's about to hit the point where her shoulders are above the top harness height. Right now she is right at the harness height, so it's not an emergent immediate need, so I'm looking for your advice on what to switch her to. I know I have a small amount of time.

Our traveling seat is an Evenflo SecureKid DLX. We could use that seat in the truck as a seatbelt positioning booster. Technically, according to the specs, she could potentially harness in this seat, however we quit using it as a harnessed seat when she outgrew Latch (it was frustrating to install, see below).

I could buy a belt positioning booster for the truck and leave the SecureKid bagged up in the garage for travel (as it is now). Or I could buy a harness to booster... I can't decide if I should try using the belt positioner yet.

The only reason I question using the SecureKid full time is that I *think* it overhangs the truck seat. It actually was the truck car seat until she outgrew Latch, and it's a pain in the butt to install with the seatbelt, so it got bagged up and put in the garage, the Nextfit got put in the truck, and in my car she's harnessed in a Britax Frontier. I don't know if overhang is even allowed with Evenflo. And even if it's allowed, I was ok with it when it was installed with Latch and tethered, but with just the seatbelt holding her and the seat in there, I don't think I trust anything that overhangs.

Hubby has a 2008 Nissan Titan Crew cab.

Last edited:
ADS

Angie

Never mind. We converted the SecureKid and hated the way it held the seatbelt. We ended up buying a Chicco Kidfit. Never in a million years did I think we'd have to buy this many car seats for one kid. LOL We're up to 5, 6 if you include the BubbleBum.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sorry this got missed! Be aware that the KidFit is only about an inch taller than the Nextfit. So if you don't feel she's ready for a backless in a year or so you may find you're looking for a taller booster. Just wanted to warn you in case you need time to prepare.

Angie

The KidFit is? It looks like it goes way tall. I know the MyFit is close in size with the NextFit. I'll have to look at it closer. But I think hubs got rid of the box already so I guess it's ours regardless. LOL!!!

Angie

Does this look right? There's space between the KidFit and the truck seat and I'm not sure that's ok. I'm used to a super wrenched in car seat, so this booster thing is weird to me...how it just kinda sits there.

fullsizeoutput_6110.jpg Li9ApqsbRr+7fvipC7m2uA.jpg

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is there something pushing the top of the booster forward?

I think switching to a booster is a bigger adjustment for the parent than it is for the kid, lol. I could never find a booster *I* was happy with while my kids never really cared. :D

Angie

Can't see my photos now. Hope you were able to see them. Nothing is pushing it forward, the contour of the booster touches the truck seat at the bottom, then as you go up the booster back curves and the truck seat does not.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: height, yes, the KidFit is one of the shortest high back boosters on the market (why I wanted warn you now.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC