Signo or True-Fit

mom2boys

I ordered the Signo for $179 when a store had a mistake in their pricing. I have been waiting for it, but now I am wondering if I should go with the True Fit instead. I know no one knows a lot about the True Fit, but my son is broad shouldered and the MA doesn't fit him. The BLVD does, and that is what we use now(It's ok, but I don't think it will last longer than 1 year height wise). But, I worry that the Signo won't work because he is too broad. He is 20 months old, weighs 26 lbs. and his torso is 14" tall. I want a seat that will last more than a year if I can find one. I have the Regent for my other son, and I think that one is too big for my 20 month old. Do you think I should wait for the True Fit or just stick with my Signo- or a different seat? I hate to get the Signo and then have to try to sell it because it doesn't work. Thanks for your help!

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd get the Signo, you had an awesome price on it. See how you like it when you get it. It should in theory last your ds 3-5 years (most kids grow about an inch in the torso every year, some faster, some slower, but it's a general guideline), and with a 14 inch torso, that's 4-5 inches of torso growth in the Signo.

If you don't like it, you can sell it (and make a big profit), and get the True Fit.

Elizasmom

I saw the Como in person at BRU recently. The lack of shoulder room has to been seen to be believed and the Signo is probably not much better. My older DD is 7 and probably has a 19" torso, but putting her in that seat would be like putting a three year old in a Snugride. I didn't even bother to try. It's just really small.
I need to get a new seat for my DD in a couple of years when it expires. If I had to buy today, it would be the Truefit. You could resell the Signo you ordered, but you'd probably not make much.

scatterbunny

My dd had a 15 inch torso at 2.5, I also worried that seats like the Marathon/Boulevard would only last her a year, but interestingly enough, her torso slowed down by age 3 and she fit in those seats until almost 5.

The Signo is supposed to have even taller top slots than the MA/BV, so is the True Fit, so I'd say either would give your ds more room than what he's in now, BUT don't discount the length of time he'll fit in what he's in now. ;)

But just based on looks and what I've heard of each seat you're considering, I'd prefer the True Fit. I like seats that sit flat on the vehicle seat when forward-facing, not up on a big base.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
But just based on looks and what I've heard of each seat you're considering, I'd prefer the True Fit. I like seats that sit flat on the vehicle seat when forward-facing, not up on a big base.

I can't wait for the TrueFit! :D I *think* I want to order one, but I want to see "real life" pictures and want to hear what "real" people think of it before I order it.

Wineaux

Yeah, I was told yesterday by the Louisiana director of Safe Kids, after she looked at Ian in his infant seat, that I had about one month before he outgrew it. So that knocks me out of the Compass TruFit which I was really excited about. We have Compass infant seats and I am really impressed by their install mechanism, and the new convertible uses the same one. Heck, if I had a seat or two that I could "borrow" for about 2-3 months until the TruFit came out I'd be ecstatic, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, so..... It looks like it's going to be a Radian 80 in SuperCool for me, and a BV for my wife's car. Ah well...

scatterbunny

Wineaux, I'd probably suck it up and get a $40 Cosco Scenera to use in the meantime; figure out if you want that Radian or that BV more, and only get one of those, and one Scenera, if you can't stomach using ONLY a Scenera. ;) :p

Chameleon

Oh I meant to ask you-- Do they have the Como in the Baton Rouge BRU? I'd hate to make the trip up there just to be disappointed. They don't have as many seats as I thought they would when they opened up our BRU inside of our TRU in Lafayette which is still an hour away from me.

Wineaux

Oh I meant to ask you-- Do they have the Como in the Baton Rouge BRU? I'd hate to make the trip up there just to be disappointed. They don't have as many seats as I thought they would when they opened up our BRU inside of our TRU in Lafayette which is still an hour away from me.
No, I was just there yesterday attempting to get a BV in the back of my PT Cruiser Convertible. Let's just say that the BV is a beast and it's just not going to happen. On the other hand, Cullens Babyland had a Radian 80 that fit really well and was a breeze to install, so that looks like the direction I am going. I asked when BRU was getting the Como and the guy there just said "We get new shipments everyday, and we never know what we're going to get." The woman at Cullens said they weren't going to carry the Recaro's, but will be carrying the new Compass TrueFit when it comes out.

Wineaux

Wineaux, I'd probably suck it up and get a $40 Cosco Scenera to use in the meantime; figure out if you want that Radian or that BV more, and only get one of those, and one Scenera, if you can't stomach using ONLY a Scenera. ;) :p
Nope, $40 + $179 = a new Radian 80 on sale, so why bother? We need two seats and I'm not going to use a POS plastic bowl with a thin cloth cover on it for ~2-years in my car.

You want to know the funny thing? I was at Woman's Hospital yesterday morning for their Baby Grand. I was helping at the Dad's Only class for new Dad's (Ian was a diaper changing model.), and then went to the car seat seminar afterwards. I put my name in the hat for the free seat drawing (Scenara's), but then got the Safe Kids director to come out to my car and so I missed the drawing (must be present to win). This morning my wife calls me from work (she works at the hospital in the NICU) and tells me that they called my name for a free seat, but I wasn't there. :eek:

To be honest, it would have been nice to have it as a holdover/backup seat, but it was more important to get some really solid advice on when Ian was going to outgrow his current seat. Besides, some new Mom ended up getting it, so I'm happy about that.

scatterbunny

Incidentally, I installed a Scenera in a PT Cruiser not too long ago and it worked fine. ;) I'm impressed that the Radian fit better than the BV!

And I know what you mean about the Scenera being flimsy, but I didn't mean to go with a Scenera and a Radian and call it good; I meant just use the Scenera in the lesser-used vehicle UNTIL the True Fit comes out. ;)

Chameleon

No, I was just there yesterday attempting to get a BV in the back of my PT Cruiser Convertible. Let's just say that the BV is a beast and it's just not going to happen. On the other hand, Cullens Babyland had a Radian 80 that fit really well and was a breeze to install, so that looks like the direction I am going. I asked when BRU was getting the Como and the guy there just said "We get new shipments everyday, and we never know what we're going to get." The woman at Cullens said they weren't going to carry the Recaro's, but will be carrying the new Compass TrueFit when it comes out.

Good to know. I just really wanted to play with it. We have a Cullens in Lafayette so I'll ask there about the TrueFit.

Wineaux

Incidentally, I installed a Scenera in a PT Cruiser not too long ago and it worked fine. ;) I'm impressed that the Radian fit better than the BV!

And I know what you mean about the Scenera being flimsy, but I didn't mean to go with a Scenera and a Radian and call it good; I meant just use the Scenera in the lesser-used vehicle UNTIL the True Fit comes out. ;)
Oh I know. It's just that when you add up the cost of buying the Scenara and then buying the TruFit, then I'll have ended up spending right about the same amount of money as I would have done just buying the Radian 80... :( Sad isn't it?

PS... Remember, mine is the convertible. So it's a two door, rag top with the roll bar. When reclined the BV just rendered the front seat useless, whereas the Radian still allowed someone my size to sit in the front seat (My wife is the same height as I am at ~6' 1".), albeit with their knees right up to the dash.

scatterbunny

Yes, it's a kind of sadness only the truly carseat-obsessed would feel and understand, though. Welcome to the ranks. :p It seems like the really cool, perfect-for-my-child seats come out AFTER we've gone with something else, or when she's only got a year or so to grow in it. It's almost enough to make me want another child, just for these awesome seats. :eek: :D

melniemi

Yeah, I was told yesterday by the Louisiana director of Safe Kids, after she looked at Ian in his infant seat, that I had about one month before he outgrew it. So that knocks me out of the Compass TruFit which I was really excited about. We have Compass infant seats and I am really impressed by their install mechanism, and the new convertible uses the same one. Heck, if I had a seat or two that I could "borrow" for about 2-3 months until the TruFit came out I'd be ecstatic, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, so..... It looks like it's going to be a Radian 80 in SuperCool for me, and a BV for my wife's car. Ah well...

Amazon has the trufit on their website with a ship date of Dec 10th - that would give you the month you need:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC