Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Versatile car seat for use with foster kids?

I have a friend who is in process of fostering . They are planning to take young children (babies to possibly as old as elementary age). We were talking about car seats today. Both of our youngest children are older so havenít been in the car seat arena for awhile- hoping I remember what is what and use the right lingo.

I highly doubt it, but they havenít created a seat that would be rear facing through booster yet have they???
    What would her best option be for covering that age span (rear facing through booster age) that will fit a range of kid sizes that is budget friendly? A convertible and then separate booster? Or rear facing seat and combination seat (thatís the type with harness and can also become a booster, right)?

She has a newer dodge grand caravan for vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions. This forum has always been so helpful with recommendations.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Versatile car seat for use with foster kids?

Yes there are some.

I have and love the graco milestone. I've used it as rf, ff and booster. The straps store inside easily to use as a booster.

Graco has a few models. Diono does but you have to rethread the harness and I didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ts_peach View Post
    I highly doubt it, but they havenít created a seat that would be rear facing through booster yet have they???
    Yep! The Graco Forever!

https://graco4everdlx.com/?gclid=Cj0...caAv5OEALw_wcB

The biggest differences between the milestone and the 4ever that I found were.
    4ever also goes backless, has 2 cup holders and I think additional recline options. None of those were worth the extra cost for my use.

Carseat Crazy

ok, great! I'll check them out

CPS Technician

The Graco SlimFit is almost identical to the Milestone so depending on sales, one can sometimes be a little cheaper than the other and both are fantastic options.

They could also just do something like an Extend2Fit (no booster mode) which will work for birth to the average 6 year old and then get a cheap basic booster to use for older kids that donít fit the harness of the Extend2Fit. There is an Extend2Fit 3-in-1 that also has a booster mode but the booster mode isnít much higher in torso capacity than the top harness position.

CPS Fanatic

A Graco Contender + cheap belt positioning booster is going to be cheaper than any of these options, though, and gives her more flexibility in the case of, say, a pair of siblings. If sheís open to taking 2, That is.

Fwiw Costco sells the milestone online for 159.99.

I got it on Amazon daily deal for $115 though