Question Versatile car seat for use with foster kids?

ts_peach

I have a friend who is in process of fostering . They are planning to take young children (babies to possibly as old as elementary age). We were talking about car seats today. Both of our youngest children are older so haven’t been in the car seat arena for awhile- hoping I remember what is what and use the right lingo.

I highly doubt it, but they haven’t created a seat that would be rear facing through booster yet have they???
What would her best option be for covering that age span (rear facing through booster age) that will fit a range of kid sizes that is budget friendly? A convertible and then separate booster? Or rear facing seat and combination seat (that’s the type with harness and can also become a booster, right)?

She has a newer dodge grand caravan for vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions. This forum has always been so helpful with recommendations.

ADS

christines1471

Yes there are some.

I have and love the graco milestone. I've used it as rf, ff and booster. The straps store inside easily to use as a booster.

Graco has a few models. Diono does but you have to rethread the harness and I didn't like that.

christines1471

The biggest differences between the milestone and the 4ever that I found were.
4ever also goes backless, has 2 cup holders and I think additional recline options. None of those were worth the extra cost for my use.

aporthole

The Graco SlimFit is almost identical to the Milestone so depending on sales, one can sometimes be a little cheaper than the other and both are fantastic options.

They could also just do something like an Extend2Fit (no booster mode) which will work for birth to the average 6 year old and then get a cheap basic booster to use for older kids that don’t fit the harness of the Extend2Fit. There is an Extend2Fit 3-in-1 that also has a booster mode but the booster mode isn’t much higher in torso capacity than the top harness position.

lgenne

A Graco Contender + cheap belt positioning booster is going to be cheaper than any of these options, though, and gives her more flexibility in the case of, say, a pair of siblings. If she’s open to taking 2, That is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC