Thoughts on cars with 4 star NHTSA ratings

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
I would appreciate some thoughts on buying a car with a 4 star NHTSA rating. We are looking into getting a vehicle for our 17 year old son. Our top choices are 5 vehicles with 5 star ratings, but I am curious on how safe 4 star rating vehicles are - specifically the Nissan Sentra and the Hyndai Elantra. We might be able to get more affordable deals on these 2 vehicles.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I would not have any issue buying a newer (2011+) vehicle that has a 4-star rating, especially if they also have good IIHS test results.

Personally, I would tend to avoid any vehicle that has any "3-star" or "Marginal" results in an actual crash test from the NHTSA or IIHS if other options are available at similar cost.

For a teen driver, a 2017 or 2018 Toyota Corolla has great crash test results overall and even the base L trim has an IIHS "Superior" rated auto brake crash avoidance system STANDARD. I wish we had one!

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Thank you! That was very helpful. A Corolla is one of our top choices (along with the Honda Civic and Chevy Cruze). It's pretty much going to come down to who can offer us a deal that makes it affordable for everyone. (kiddo needs to pay part of it ;) )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC