Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Post-collision replacement criteria?

Hi, we were stopped in traffic today when we were rear ended by an SUV (a guy staring at his cell on his lap - so he didn't brake at all before impact) and pushed into the car in front of us. Our Odyssey has some damage to the front driver side, but the back bumper is split in several places, hatch buckled in and unopenable, holes punched into the steel, the plastic panels on the interior of the hatch are popped out. All three of my kids were in their seats at the time (Britax boulevard CT, Frontier CT and Monterey XL booster). We were able to drive away (car is making noises), no-one required an ambulance (but holy sore necks) and the side doors are okay. Britax and Diono refer to NHTSA for replacement; is the hatch considered a door? If so, the britax in the back row might be considered for replacement? It's right around Xmas, so we can't get the car in to a mechanic to be evaluated for almost a week, so we don't know the true extent of damage. Won't drive it in interim, but also can't move kids around in the rental unless I can either use these seats or buy new ones. I'm not sure whether this accident would meet criteria for exceeding "minor". I think if it buckled steel, it probably could damage car seats, but am I overreacting?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Post-collision replacement criteria?

In my opinion, sore necks would check off the injury box requiring replacement of all the seats.

CCO 4/15

Moderator - CPS Technician

Yes, I would replace, but if you absolutely can't get replacements before you need to drive kids somewhere, then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. (I'm not sure what your options are for replacement with the holidays this week.)
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Thanks so much. Insurance wanted pics of the seats in our car and said "go out and buy the exact same seats". So going this morning to get new seats to put into the rental minivan.