Post-collision replacement criteria?

m2h

Hi, we were stopped in traffic today when we were rear ended by an SUV (a guy staring at his cell on his lap - so he didn't brake at all before impact) and pushed into the car in front of us. Our Odyssey has some damage to the front driver side, but the back bumper is split in several places, hatch buckled in and unopenable, holes punched into the steel, the plastic panels on the interior of the hatch are popped out. All three of my kids were in their seats at the time (Britax boulevard CT, Frontier CT and Monterey XL booster). We were able to drive away (car is making noises), no-one required an ambulance (but holy sore necks) and the side doors are okay. Britax and Diono refer to NHTSA for replacement; is the hatch considered a door? If so, the britax in the back row might be considered for replacement? It's right around Xmas, so we can't get the car in to a mechanic to be evaluated for almost a week, so we don't know the true extent of damage. Won't drive it in interim, but also can't move kids around in the rental unless I can either use these seats or buy new ones. I'm not sure whether this accident would meet criteria for exceeding "minor". I think if it buckled steel, it probably could damage car seats, but am I overreacting?

ADS

jjordan

Yes, I would replace, but if you absolutely can't get replacements before you need to drive kids somewhere, then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. (I'm not sure what your options are for replacement with the holidays this week.)

m2h

Thanks so much. Insurance wanted pics of the seats in our car and said "go out and buy the exact same seats". So going this morning to get new seats to put into the rental minivan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC