Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

What happened to the Safety 1st Incognito?

Weight: 84lbs
    Torso Height to Shoulder: 19 inches
    Pant size: 12 Slim

My son does not truely 5-step in his desired seating positon in our Honda Oddysey. He rides in a Greco Affix in the Oddysey and would like to switch to the Incognito, which he uses in our Corolla. I went to order the Incognito and see that they are discontinued but still avalible.

1. Why was the Incognito discontinued (poor sales or safety issues)?
    2. Is there a better seat for him than the Incognito?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: What happened to the Safety 1st Incognito?

It's perfectly safe. It didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, I guess.

You could look at the Harmony Youth Booster. It's another low profile booster. Not like the Incognito, but less obvious than the Affix.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thanks Wendy! I actually was able to remember my password and log-in to reply. I don't hang out here anymore and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a safety issue to be aware of with the Incognito. I imagine there wasn't a big market for seats for big kids

I can't believe Piper is driving her own car. I feel old. Glad to see you are still here giving advise. You were a huge help to me in a different stage of life.
    DS 6 years/ 46 inches/ 44lbs riding harnessed in a Frontier 85 and Frontier 90
    DD Riding in a B-Safe

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Last I heard, they are only discontinuing tan and light grey (the poorer selling colors) but will be making black and grey still.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

6. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

This is correct. They aren’t discontinued. A lot of places are low/out of stock recently. Safety 1st’s website has them available for purchase directly with free shipping. A few retailers like jet.com also have them at a discount. Amazon lists them as temporarily out of stock.

Yeah, I think they are probably trying to run through available stock before they reconfigure production.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Does anyone know if these will be made available again? It looks like everywhere is out of stock. I have a 9 year old who doesn’t like her booster but she’s not quite ready to go without one.

They're revamping it, so if a store is out of stock, it'll be a few years.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

As an alternative, you can consider the Graco RightGuide. http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/right...trainer-8bq100

12. Thank You from:

Unregistered

This is such a bummer! We have one for one car and were hoping to get a second. We haven't found anything else quite the same for an almost 4'11" nine year old who really just needs a tiny boost and guides to make the seatbelt hit right on the hips and shoulder. Most boosters are way too tall.

The RightGuide is in the same category of heightless boosters, and Graco is known for providing children with a great belt fit on every single booster they make. They take pride in it, and I don't know that the IIHS has given them anything less than a Best Fit since they've started testing belt fit on boosters.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The RightGuide is in the same category of heightless boosters, and Graco is known for providing children with a great belt fit on every single booster they make. They take pride in it, and I don't know that the IIHS has given them anything less than a Best Fit since they've started testing belt fit on boosters.

Wendy
    OMG thank you for this!!! This is probably exactly what I need for my 10yo twins who are outgrowing their Harmony Youth boosters and need a good carpool and travel option. Kind of expensive, but so is the Incognito. They don't list dimensions but this looks like it has a much narrower profile than the Incognito which would be great for dealing with carpooling and 3-across situations, and portability. And it has a similar height and weight limit as the Incognito. This and the Incognito are the only 2 boosters I know of that have a height limit above 57 inches. It's not on Amazon (yet)...but I did find this review: https://csftl.org/graco-turbobooster-grow-review/.