Car seat replacement after accident

christines1471

I was rear ended in my car yesterday. No children were in the car seats at the time.
I have a Britax Pioneer G1.1 installed with latch. I have a harmony backless booster that was actually on the floor on the backseat and a Cosco Easy Elite 3 in 1 that was in my trunk. (I have a vw tiguan, these were placed this way as I needed back seat space at the time)
I will most definitely replace the cosco,even though the trunk doesn't appear damaged, honestly I never really liked it anyhow.
I checked Britax and I'm not sure as I think my accident meets all the criteria for "minor accident" by the standards. Drivable, no air bags deployed, injuries that didn't require ambulance (hit head on steering wheel and overall soreness), door where seat is not damaged at all.

So, replace them all or no?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Based on your description, I believe you do not need to replace the Pioneer to conform to the Britax recommendations in their FAQ like you mentioned: https://us.britax.com/faqs/# . My question would be the harness seat in the trunk that you would want to carefully inspect for damage if it was loose. I'd also at least consider replacing that one for peace of mind, like you suggested. You should also contact Britax directly with more specifics if you want an official confirmation.

I was rear ended in my car yesterday. No children were in the car seats at the time.
I have a Britax Pioneer G1.1 installed with latch. I have a harmony backless booster that was actually on the floor on the backseat and a Cosco Easy Elite 3 in 1 that was in my trunk. (I have a vw tiguan, these were placed this way as I needed back seat space at the time)
I will most definitely replace the cosco,even though the trunk doesn't appear damaged, honestly I never really liked it anyhow.
I checked Britax and I'm not sure as I think my accident meets all the criteria for "minor accident" by the standards. Drivable, no air bags deployed, injuries that didn't require ambulance (hit head on steering wheel and overall soreness), door where seat is not damaged at all.

So, replace them all or no?

christines1471

Thank you.
There's enough stuff in the trunk that it certainly didn't fly around (yeah my car needs a clean out) but I feel like it would have taken more impact just from location.
I'm hoping insurance will just replace all of them.

christines1471

I've decided to replace the easy elite with the graco milestone, I'm hoping I love it as it does everything I need all in 1. The seat is not always used for the same child so I need the ability to RF, FF and booster.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A very good choice, and if you haven't purchased one already, they are often on great deals in the next week or two. I hope you are doing well, I know even relatively minor crashes can be a very stressful experience, not to mention if you had anything more than minor injuries.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC