Moving into a backless booster

U

Unregistered

So I guess I'm just looking for reassurance (or a reality check!) from the pros on this.

The Radian is expiring at the end of this year (it's seen continuous use for the last 6 years!). So today I pulled it out of the car, and put the Frontier with ClickTight back into harness mode for my 4.5-yr-old. And I have finally pulled the backless Graco Affix from its box for my about-to-turn-8-yr-old. I'm having a sudden wave of guilt, going to the backless booster! Is it okay? Will she be SAFE?! I'm freaking out a little. My almost-8-yr-old is probably around 47 lbs and 47" tall...maybe a bit more on both. I mean, she fits within the posted ranges for the Affix but still...I have really tried to get educated, be car-seat savvy, and I have been pretty conservative (eldest rear-faced until 3.5 and her sister was closer to 4 before I faced her forward). Both of my girls are petite. Is this cool, what I'm doing? Or should I be looking at some other high-back booster for my almost 8-yr-old? I'm driving a Subaru Outback if that matters at all.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She'll be safe. :) If you like, you could buy another high back booster, she'd fit into most. But she'd also be safe in the backless. You'd just want to watch out for sleeping and slumping, mostly. If she is more comfortable with a place to rest her head, a high back would be ideal.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

She'll be safe. :) If you like, you could buy another high back booster, she'd fit into most. But she'd also be safe in the backless. You'd just want to watch out for sleeping and slumping, mostly. If she is more comfortable with a place to rest her head, a high back would be ideal.

Wendy

Thank you so much! Tomorrow we will take our inaugural spin and I will look to see how she fits in the backless Affix. Usually we don't go far and she isn't apt to sleep, but what high-back booster would you recommend? She probably won't want to go back into one, after being in a backless, but we'll see. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Nuna Aace, Evenflo Spectrum, Graco Turbobooster LX (basically, your Affix with a back), Clek Oobr, Britax Highpoint/Skyline, Diono Monterey.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Just echoing Wendy here. As long as the seatbelt fits well, she should be fine in a backless. My just-turned-9YO moved to a backless recently. I was a little worried because she frequently falls asleep on the way to or from school. But surprise! She sleeps completely upright and it hasn’t been an issue at all.

U

Unregistered

Thanks to you, both!

So when I first had her in the backless yesterday I felt like it was okay. But we actually had a 30-min ride, and on the way home in the evening she wasn’t feeling well and I felt like she looked so SMALL back there! And she was a bit slumpy. It made me want to order a high back booster STAT! I don’t know if I’m just having an emotional reaction...feeling overprotective or something. She is saying she was totally comfortable in the backless and she’s singing the song about how all her friends are in backless boosters, so there’s that peer pressure thing (but she knows I am a self proclaimed car seat fanatic, and I always tell my kids the only thing I care about with respect to car seats is their safety. Her father has had her in a backless booster for awhile, but she isn’t with him often and I try not to think about her flapping in the breeze like that in his car). She is smaller than a lot of her peers...she comes from a long line of petite people.

I started looking at the Britax Skyline or Highpoint (and not sure if the extra $50 for the Highpoint is worth it), but she’s resisting, and wants to stay in the backless. Not quite sure what to do here. Hmmmm...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Keep in mind, she's got a nearly eight year old skeleton. Her weight and height have nothing to do with that (it's why at 5'1" I'm safe in the front, but a 5'4" 11 year old is not. Skeletal differences).

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd be frank with her- if she slumps she's going to need a high back. See if that fixes the slumping, willpower can be powerful...

jjordan

I'd be frank with her- if she slumps she's going to need a high back. See if that fixes the slumping, willpower can be powerful...

I agree. Tell her exactly what you expect of her when riding in a backless, and tell her that if she can't comply, she's into a hbb. And then try to relax, knowing that if she is riding properly then she is safe! I know it is hard to move a child "up a level" in car seats, but remember that our feelings are just that - feelings - and they don't always mean that something is dangerous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC