3 across in Toyota Prius

H

hankbooster

I have a 6-year-old, 4-year-old and 5-month-old. I'm hoping there's a way to get them in my husband's Prius at the same time. I'm willing to buy all new seats, but what we have right now are Britax Bouleavard CT (assuming this is not an option for any of them as it's a beast), Graco SlimFit, Graco 4Ever, Graco Milestone, Britax Boulevard, Britax Pavilion, Britax B-Safe Elite.

My 6 year old weighs around 48 pounds and is 41 inches tall. He's very responsible. I think he's definitely ready for booster training in this car (will still be in a 5 point in my car, which he travels in more often and for all long trips). Trips would mostly be the 7-minute ride home from daycare twice a week. Not sure if a backless booster is an option for his age/size, or what boosters are narrowest.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! What year and model of Prius? What's possible is going to vary with the details of your specific model and year.

You may find that a harness is actually easier to use in a tight 3 across than a booster depending on the setup that you end up with.

U

Unregistered

It's a 2010. I'm not sure about model--it's just a standard Prius. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 2010 has significant seatbelt overlap between two seating positions. I haven't personally tried your seats, but I'd say you need to try things out and see if it's possible to install seats in those two positions without the belt interfering. (Here's info on why that is important: scroll down to the statement on installing 3 car seats across.)

Due to the tricky nature of that decision, I would suggest seeking the in-person help of a CPST near you (info on how to find one here.)

If you are able to make it work, based on experience I'm guessing you'll end up with something that sits higher, maybe a convertible, next to something that sits lower.

I can't say what for sure without seeing it in-person, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC