Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

2017 Ford Explorer Side-by-Side

I'm looking for recommendations for infant seat/convertible seat options for side-by-side in the second row of my Ford Explorer, on the 60 portion of the 60/40. We have a newborn, 2 y/o (still rear facing, but could be forward facing), a 9 y/o (still needs a backless booster due to height), and a 12 y/o who doesn't need a seat. 12 y/o is with us every other weekend, and will sit in the 3rd row. Ideally, the booster for 9 y/o will be on 40 portion of 2nd row for ease of accessing third row without having to uninstall/reinstall a car seat each time. We currently have a Chicco Fit2 for newborn, a Graco 4Ever Convertible for 2 y/o, and a Graco backless booster for 9 y/o. They fit (snugly), but flipping the 40 portion is impossible with the Fit2 base in the center seat (currently have 12 y/o entering/exiting the 3rd row through the rear hatch, which will become a nightmare in winter). I was looking at Diono Radian RXTs for both NB and 2 y/o, and possibly a Bubblebum for 9 y/o, but I was hoping to see if anyone has had success with the Diono installation in the 2nd row middle seat, especially given there isn't LATCH in that location and inconvenience of rear-facing install with shoulder belt on that model. Budget isn't an issue for new seats, its much cheaper than buying a new car!!! Help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 2017 Ford Explorer Side-by-Side

No inflatable seat belts, btw.

CPS Technician

I’ve worked in this vehicle quite a bit and I can firmly state that there are not any two seats slim enough to fit side by side on the 60 portion and still leave enough space to flip the passenger side seat forward for 3rd row access.

The Dionos are completely incompatible forward-facing in the center seat. They do fit rear-facing in the center if you use the optional Angle Adjuster (couldn’t be used for the newborn yet) but it isn’t slim enough to flip the passenger side seat beside it.

Unregistered

Thanks for the additional info, this was my fear

I keep trying to find a configuration to keep the littles in the middle row, but it doesn't seem possible with still having to access the third row. I can't trade in my car, so we'll just be suffering along! LOL