HBB for a Big Kid HELP

AllieK

My son is turning 7yrs in January :eek: and he's a big kid - 54" and 72lbs last month at the doctor's office. He has a super long torso, wears a size 10 or 12 shirt. We currently have him harnessed in a Frontier in our primary vehicle and riding in a Parkway and Diono Cambria in our backup vehicles. He is outgrowing the harness on the Frontier and while I realize he could use it as a booster I would like to pass it down to his younger sibling and get a new dedicated HBB for him. I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest. What are some deep, wide, tall HBB that latch? He does not like the Cambria - says the seatbelt locks too often when trying to buckle, though I'm not sure if that's an issue with the vehicle or the booster being too wide...? He says he likes the Parkway although I feel like the seat is shallow for him as it hits several inches back from his knee.

The vehicle is a 2013 Ford F150 and we have had issues with headrest interference so I would like something that can be used without the vehicle headrest in place.

I have no budget in mind, although I think DH would groan if I spent more than $150 on a seat that likely will be outgrown in 3-4 years.

ADS

aporthole

Hmm, my go-to suggestion for larger kids is usually the Diono Monterey XT as it is the deepest and widest, but if he finds the Cambria difficult to buckle, the Monterey will be the same and it also requires the vehicle head restraint in place.

The Britax Highpoint and Midpoint could work alright and are plenty tall, but they don’t convert to a backless and they have the same shallow seat pan as the Parkway.

There is a surprising lack of highback options for larger kids.

I think the seats you have are already 2 of the better options.

Have you considered doing a backless booster for the truck? The Chicco GoFit is nice for bigger kids but doesn’t have lower anchor attachments. If you want one that has them, the Clek Olli is my 9yo’s favorite booster ever. The Peg Perego Shuttle is also a nice option.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Thank you both. Is the Recaro Performance Booster still a thing? I haven't been able to find a retailer selling it.

Unfortunately, Recaro has gotten out of the child seat business. You may be able to find a new seat if you search around. We really liked the Performance Booster too - we used one for my middle kid for a couple years and now my 9YO uses it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC