Rear Center Seat Installation Question

millere

Hello, everyone,
I just got the new Ford Taurus (basically an improved Ford 500), and have my infant seat (Snug Ride) in the center rear position. There is an armrest in that position. The Graco book doesn't have instructions against this. However, we are probably going to use the Evenflo Triumph for our next seat, and it says to check the vehicle manufacurer's guide. The Ford book doesn't indicate not to put a seat there rear facing. However, it doesn't come out and say it's safe either.

My question is whether is it's safe to put our Snug ride there and the Triumph (or other convertible seat). If not, would the Marathon be any better in that position (I know many prefer the marathon for other reasons..I'm now considering it as well!).

A related question...How would you tether the seat from the center position in this sedan? There is no place indicated for tethering. Would it be safe to use a bar under one of the front seats? Even from the center position?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I'm going to call Ford on Monday and see what they say, but I wanted to get some advice from experienced techs.

Thanks,
Ellen

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Putting the Snugride there is fine. Also, it's probably ok with the Triumph, they discontinued the unfounded advice NOT to put it in front of an armrest years ago. I would suspect the seats that say that are nearing the end of their lifespan.

For tethering the Marathon, yes, you can go under one of the front seats. Just an unmovable part of the car. Though check your manual, some Fords have RFing tether anchors. If your is a 2008 I can't help you with my LATCH manual, it only goes up to 2007.

Wendy

keri1292

Just wanted to point out that only the Marathon and Radian can tether RFing. One of the many reasons we love 'em!

millere

Thanks, Wendy and Keri! This will really come in handy when we move ds to his convertible seat. I just found some other great info about fold down armrests on this site(love this webpage!).

Thanks again,
Ellen:)

henrietta

Evenflo's customer service reps told me to check my car's manual, and if it doesn not prohibit installing a carseat in front of the armrest, they have zero (no) problem with it being installed there at all. They said that they used to say that they shouldn't be installed there, but they no longer recommend that, and they need to remove it from their manual b/c there's no proof that it's a problem.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC