"Britax, Cosco, and Harmony car seats Break in CR's Tests" ?

ADS

abigaylebelle

Wow. I guess I am not surprised by this, given the testing a few years ago that had harnesses ripping through with the larger dummies. I think it was the regent and some of the higher weight convertibles that time.

I have a larger four year old in a frontier. Fortunately I think he will be booster ready by five, and hopefully he won’t gain a ton of weight in the next few months. I probably won’t use the harness above 50lbs for sure though.

jjordan

At this point we have incomplete information. My advice is to wait and see what shakes out over the next couple of weeks.

Are you currently using one of the seats mentioned?

U

Unregistered

I am freaking out about this a little. I currently have two Frontiers for my 5 and 8 year old. I am moving my 8 year old to a backless booster but I was planning to move the second seat into my husbands car so I wouldn't have to transfer seats for the 5 year old. One of the reasons I got these seats is because they were supposed to be able to stay harnessed longer. Ugh...very frustrated. I just bought the second seat last year because my daughters Boulevard had reached the expiration date. I was going to move my son to the backless then and give my daughter the Frontier but read all this stuff saying you should keep them harnessed until they outgrow it so I bought a second one.

jjordan

just read the Carseat blog article. thank you.
are we expecting recalls on those seats?

They still meet the federal standards for crash test performance, so I don't expect that they will be recalled. I suppose it is possible that manufacturers may issue some sort of "fix" to help with the observed problems, but I would be surprised if that happened.

jjordan

I am freaking out about this a little. I currently have two Frontiers for my 5 and 8 year old. I am moving my 8 year old to a backless booster but I was planning to move the second seat into my husbands car so I wouldn't have to transfer seats for the 5 year old. One of the reasons I got these seats is because they were supposed to be able to stay harnessed longer. Ugh...very frustrated. I just bought the second seat last year because my daughters Boulevard had reached the expiration date. I was going to move my son to the backless then and give my daughter the Frontier but read all this stuff saying you should keep them harnessed until they outgrow it so I bought a second one.

I would most definitely move the 8 year old to a booster unless there are specific circumstances that make you think a harness is safer. Honestly I am a bit fed up with the "harness as long as possible" message because the truth is that we do NOT have any information telling us that harnesses are safer for older (6+ years old) children.

On the other hand, my 5 year old, 45-40 pound child rides in a harnessed Frontier because he's not ready to booster 100% of the time, and I am completely comfortable leaving him there. The worst failures did not happen until they used the 10 year old dummy, and even there we haven't seen the injury reports for the dummies yet. I am fine with my light-ish child riding in a Frontier. But as the blog article says, this will be a decision that each parent makes for their own kids based on their understanding of the situation.

Barbara

I would most definitely move the 8 year old to a booster unless there are specific circumstances that make you think a harness is safer. Honestly I am a bit fed up with the "harness as long as possible" message because the truth is that we do NOT have any information telling us that harnesses are safer for older (6+ years old) children.

On the other hand, my 5 year old, 45-40 pound child rides in a harnessed Frontier because he's not ready to booster 100% of the time, and I am completely comfortable leaving him there. The worst failures did not happen until they used the 10 year old dummy, and even there we haven't seen the injury reports for the dummies yet. I am fine with my light-ish child riding in a Frontier. But as the blog article says, this will be a decision that each parent makes for their own kids based on their understanding of the situation.

But what about a 40-45 lbs child in a Pioneer or Defender? It broke with a 52 lbs dummy but not a 35 lbs dummy but where in the middle does it start breaking?

jjordan

But what about a 40-45 lbs child in a Pioneer or Defender? It broke with a 52 lbs dummy but not a 35 lbs dummy but where in the middle does it start breaking?

Obviously parents make the call they feel comfortable with. I’d definitely want to see the dummy injury reports, but assuming the Pioneer 52# dummy didn’t have higher injuries, then I’d personally be comfortable using one for my 45-50# child. On the other hand, the harness on the Defender pulled through the seat, so personally I’d replace that (or use in booster mode if the child was ready) before using it (harnessed) for my own 45-50# child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC