buying new headrests

crunchierthanthou

So, we lost our rear outboard headrests for our 2001 Subaru Outback. Don't ask me how, but they are nowhere to be found. I've called the dealer and they are over $300 each. :eek: I've been calling local junk yards, but I've only been able to find one gray cloth one. It was still $60 and we need tan leather. Ebay hasn't had any. I've tried a google search. I didn't come up with much, but most of the results were for aftermarket accessories.

We really only need one for now because ds's MA is perpetually installed on the other side. Any ideas on where I should look? How about even to figure out the part number or which model years share the same design?

The only one we have right now is the center and that seat isn't good for anyone. :(

ADS

mimieliza

Can you try calling other junk yards out of your area - maybe they would ship? Or call Subaru and ask what other model years would have the same headrests so you can widen your search.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about matching the fabric. Do you think there's a chance the original headrests will turn up at some point?

southpawboston

Try some Subaru owner forums. There are lots of car-crazy Subie owners out there, and one of them is bound to know the answer.

This one is mostly for the Legacy, but there's an Outback forum.
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/?

You can also try the Subaru forum on Edmunds, or the Outback forum on NASIOC site:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/.

I'm sure there are similar Outback forums out there--I just don't know what they are.

those are great sources, i'm sure many members on those forums will know of salvage yards that specialize in subarus.

if it helps, i think the headrests on the outlook are the same as on the legacy, as they are essentially the same car, just different trim levels. the color and leather choice may be specific to the outback, not sure, but a headrest from a legacy will fit an outback.

you can also try lkq liquidators. they are a consortium of salvage yards across the US. you can fill out an online search form and they will respond with an answer.

oh, and your car is the same from 01-04, FYI.

crunchierthanthou

Thanks, I'll try those sites and maybe change change my search a little with additional model years and trims. I'm sure they'll turn up as soons as I find replacements. Unfortunately, I don't think either dh or I could handle gray cloth. :)

southpawboston

if you can find leather ones but in a different color, you can always try to paint them to match. most car leather is painted, anyway. you can buy spray paint specifically for leather.

TXAggieTech

My DH belongs to an Excursion forum and they swap stuff all the time. When we had a VW Passat we had to replace the headrest to sell it since we took out our entertainment system. Someone on the forum had a set and we got them for shipping. Since it isn't time critical I would think you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also see how much just the leather is. That way if you find a free or cheap set that doesn't match you will know how much it would take to get it to match.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC