Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Recommendations for FF harness seat

We are looking for a seat to put in our second vehicle to use for when one of our older kids has an activity we're not all going to. This would be for, ideally, both our 8-year-old and 6-year-old to use (at different times, obviously). I was thinking it would be nice to have a no-rethread harness so we could easily adjust between the 2 kids. The 8-year-old is just under 52" and based on measuring when he's sitting, I think we'd need harness slots at 18" (and higher if possible). Both kids are very scrawny so weight is not a problem.

So far I have found:
    Harmony Defender
    Britax Pioneer/Frontier
    Chicco MyFit

Are there any others I need to look at? Especially any less than $100?

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Recommendations for FF harness seat

Hi there.

At eight and six, most kids are booster ready. That'd be a viable option, unless there's something we don't know about your kids.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Unregistered

No, they're just normal skinny kids. I thought a 5 point harness would be safer? They're both harnessed in our minivan (Diono Pacifica and Rainier).

There's no evidence a harness is safer at their age. I'd probably pick up a booster well known for fitting normal skinny kids like the Evenflo Big Kid, Evenflo Spectrum, Chicco KidFit, Graco Turbobooster. If you like the Dionos, you could try a Diono Monterey. If you get one with lower anchors, you can use them so the booster is not a projectile when it's not in use. If you get one without lower anchors, buckle it in when it's not in use.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Unregistered

Thank you!!

Any thoughts on if one in particular will work well in a 2003 Toyota Echo?

No, sorry. Though if it has low or no headrests, my first choice would be the Evenflo Spectrum. It doesn't require a headrest, will supply your kids with a headrest for a long time through the booster (whiplash protection), but it doesn't have lower anchors, so you'll need to buckle it in when it's empty.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Unregistered

Any reasons you prefer that one over the Turbobooster or one of the others?

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Any reasons you prefer that one over the Turbobooster or one of the others?
    I'm just guessing and I hope Wendy corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think that is her first choice because it is much taller than the others.

If the car doesn't provide adequate head support, that job will need to be done by a high back booster, so getting the tallest will provide that protection the longest.

CPS Technician

How much does the 6-year-old weigh?

The Echo has head restraints for the outboard seats so you have lots of options. If the 6yo is at least 40 lb, even more options.