Question Recommendations for FF harness seat

U

Unregistered

We are looking for a seat to put in our second vehicle to use for when one of our older kids has an activity we're not all going to. This would be for, ideally, both our 8-year-old and 6-year-old to use (at different times, obviously). I was thinking it would be nice to have a no-rethread harness so we could easily adjust between the 2 kids. The 8-year-old is just under 52" and based on measuring when he's sitting, I think we'd need harness slots at 18" (and higher if possible). Both kids are very scrawny so weight is not a problem.

So far I have found:
Harmony Defender
Britax Pioneer/Frontier
Chicco MyFit

Are there any others I need to look at? Especially any less than $100?

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

At eight and six, most kids are booster ready. That'd be a viable option, unless there's something we don't know about your kids.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

No, they're just normal skinny kids. :) I thought a 5 point harness would be safer? They're both harnessed in our minivan (Diono Pacifica and Rainier).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's no evidence a harness is safer at their age. I'd probably pick up a booster well known for fitting normal skinny kids like the Evenflo Big Kid, Evenflo Spectrum, Chicco KidFit, Graco Turbobooster. If you like the Dionos, you could try a Diono Monterey. If you get one with lower anchors, you can use them so the booster is not a projectile when it's not in use. If you get one without lower anchors, buckle it in when it's not in use.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you!!

Any thoughts on if one in particular will work well in a 2003 Toyota Echo? :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, sorry. Though if it has low or no headrests, my first choice would be the Evenflo Spectrum. It doesn't require a headrest, will supply your kids with a headrest for a long time through the booster (whiplash protection), but it doesn't have lower anchors, so you'll need to buckle it in when it's empty.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Any reasons you prefer that one over the Turbobooster or one of the others?

2BunniesMommy

Any reasons you prefer that one over the Turbobooster or one of the others?

I'm just guessing and I hope Wendy corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think that is her first choice because it is much taller than the others.

If the car doesn't provide adequate head support, that job will need to be done by a high back booster, so getting the tallest will provide that protection the longest.

aporthole

How much does the 6-year-old weigh?

The Echo has head restraints for the outboard seats so you have lots of options. If the 6yo is at least 40 lb, even more options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC