New Seats for my 9 & 7 yo??

MommyO

We have been using EvenFlo Secure Kid seats for quite a while, but they expire in a month or so. I am not sure what to look at...it has been so long since we got new seats. Both are still using them as 5 pt harnesses since they are relatively short, and light at 50" and 48", respectively (both around 50 lbs).

Do I look at a High back booster...low back booster?? I'm thinking the 5 pt harness is overkill at this point. Recommendations for HBB or LBB? Our cars are 2012 outback and a 2017 Sonata.

Thanks so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Either a high back or backless would be fine. Ideally a seven year old would have a high back, but most nine year olds are ok in backless (seven year olds are more likely to need the wings for sleeping).

What's a comfortable budget?

Wendy

MommyO

Either a high back or backless would be fine. Ideally a seven year old would have a high back, but most nine year olds are ok in backless (seven year olds are more likely to need the wings for sleeping).

What's a comfortable budget?

Wendy

Comfortable budget would be under $50.

I just wasn't sure since I have shorties!!!

Funny thing happened at 9 yo well child check this year. The doc asked what he does when he gets in the car - Looking for him to say he puts on his seat belt - and 9 yo says, "I read or color". Then the doc asks if he wears a seatbelt and 9 yo says, "Nope." At this point I jump in and prompt to 9 yo, what do you do first thing when you get in the car? 9 yo says, "Oh, I get in my car seat and buckle it." Doc was AMAZED that a 9 yo was still in a 5-pt harness.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For now, switch your 50" child to the booster, since they've outgrown the harness height. Possibly both have if the straps are not above their shoulders.

Under $50 for a high back booster I'd look at the Evenflo Big Kid, Cosco Pronto, Safety 1st Store n Go, and Graco Turbobooster.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC