Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    ditter215

Question Installation of car seats with seat covers installed

Is it safe to install a car seat with base (currently have a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35 with base, will be upgrading to a Clek Foonf in the near future) with a seat cover installed on the seats in a vehicle? I have a lab mix who frequently will share the back seat of our vehicle, and I want to try and protect our seats. I also want to protect from milk spills, spit up, etc. I have seen factory seat covers that fit more snugly, but cannot seem to find information as to whether the base and seat can be installed over the top of these seat covers (or others). Our family vehicles currently consist of a Honda CR-V and Honda Fit. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Installation of car seats with seat covers installed

I don't think Peg allows anything under their seat (at least, not in the manual). However, Clek sells a Mat Thingy they approve, so you can put that under your Clek when you get it.

You can then just put something under the dog. How is your dog restrained? Most labs are in the 70+ pound range, and at 30 mph that's about 2100 pounds of force. Over a literal ton. That's not safe for anyone if the dog is unrestrained. The SleepyPod ClickIt has been tested to FMVSS213 testing and passed, properly restraining a dog of that size, and keeping it from becoming a deadly projectile in a crash. If you don't already have one, I'd get one before the dog is in the car again.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785