Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help me find my tall kiddo a great car seat!

I am feeling really desperate in my search to find my very tall daughter a great car seat in the US. My daughter will be six next week, but is already 50 1/2” tall and about 50 lbs. We feel like she is ready for a high-back booster, but she seems to be too tall or close to too tall for most of them. Ideally this car seat would convert to a backless booster, but that isn’t a must. I’ve spent hours online and feel like I have no more if a lead. TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Help me find my tall kiddo a great car seat!

We can help.

What car do you have, and what is your budget?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

We have a 2005 Honda Civic and a 2018 RAV4 Hybrid. I am not too worried about budget.

Moderator - CPS Technician

The Britax boosters are quite tall, but don't convert to backless. Depending on where your daughter carries her height (more torso, more legs, or distributed), she might also have quite a bit of growing room in something like a Chicco Kidfit. My son is about 54" and is just about at the height limit for that one (with the back on). It does convert to a backless booster. (For comparison he would still have a few inches of torso growth before outgrowing a Britax booster.)

ETA: Here is a comparison tool for highback boosters. Comparison
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava