Need RF car seat for 7 month old

jgomez411

I have not been on here in ages! My YDD is 7 months old, 16lbs, somewhere around 27 inches, currently riding in a Keyfit in our 2016 Ford Fusion. Due to carpool, she has to be behind the drivers side. DH and I are not super tall and the Keyfit front to back space is about perfect. We have a Myride which I hate that we had in there temporarily while I was cleaning her Keyfit cover and I had to have the seat way too far up! I have done so much research and I think we’ve narrowed it down to either the NextFit or one of the Britax convertibles but I have hesitations with both! My concerns with the Nextfit are the high sides which I think may be difficult to get her in and out with the opening of the Fusion and some of the reviews also mentioned their kids getting hot with the Nextfit fabric. We are in the South and my car has 2 small air vents on the back of the armrest which she can’t really feel and she is usually pretty sweaty when I take her out of her Keyfit. With the Britax, my biggest concern is that some people seemed to have issues with the Clicktight after a few years and my husband is adamant that we are not going to be buying a bunch of different seats like we did for ODD. Anyone have any first hand experience with our car and one or both seats? Also wondering what the difference is with the Britax Essentials line? I kinda like those because they don’t have the clicktight. TIA!

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

The NextFit has the Air line that has air channels under and behind the child, so that is something to consider. As far as the Britax, the Essentials line is basically the G4.1 Marathon and Boulevard renamed, so they have the lock-offs and the dual lower anchor straps. I loved our NextFit, but we had it in the center and were able to sit next to it while loading and buckling our child, which made it easier. I now have a G4 Boulevard, and I really like it too. The only downside of the Britax in my mind is the hand wash only cover.

U

Unregistered

OP here! Thank you for your response! We finally went to BBB yesterday and tried a Nextfit and a 4ever in the car. The 4ever wasn’t originally one of our choices because DH didn’t think it was super padded but we decided to try anyways. We didn’t even try the Britax just because of the possibility of issues with the Clicktight and the Essentials just seemed so much cheaper feeling! After it was all said and done we actually ended up with the 4ever! The Nextfit was just a tight squeeze trying to get her in the door and I can only imagine the difficulty when she gets a little bigger! DH liked the fact that the 4ever is basically the only seat she will ever need so he sees spending less money lol. I came across a blog post on here that someone had done with a 4ever in a Civic and was super surprised by the space and even on the most reclined and the headrest all the way up, we still had a teeny tiny amount of space between the seat and the front seat of the car! It ended up being less than $150 from Target with the sale, the 20% off code, plus the other 20% from the trade in and my Redcard discount so I was pleased!

MelodyoftheForest

Nice! I have a 4Ever too, and I really like it. Because the cover is in more pieces than many convertibles, it is easy to just wash what you need to in case of a mess! Just be aware that if you turn your child forward-facing before 40 pounds, you have to use the most reclined FF recline setting until they reach 40 pounds. This made it incompatible FF in my car, but it looks like you have removable head restraints, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up! We’re planning to keep her rear facing until at least 3 (or to the limits of the seat if I have my way haha). We finally installed it this week, and while the angle was fine on 2, we ended up putting it in the most reclined position because when she fell asleep she kept waking up crying cause it was too upright- we still did not have to move the front seat so I don’t mind! We had the body support in and even at her size, she seemed very cramped! I took it out today and she seems more comfortable, and the only thing I could find in the manual was that it’s only required if their shoulders are not above the lowest slot, which we actually clicked the headrest up one and the slots are still below her shoulders without the padding so I’m assuming that’s ok.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC