Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Vacation Questions

My family will be taking a trip next year by plane. We have avoided traveling by plane since having kids as we have some physical limitations that make it impossible to transport a full sized car seat through the airport, but this trip is required for work. Once we reach our destination airport, we will have an approximately 10 minute drive to our destination where we will remain until returning home.
    Our youngest will still fit in an infant seat so using that on the plane and drive to and from the airport is a no brainer. What is the best option for my older kids? Oldest will be 5 and based on his previous growth, around 39 lbs and between 43 and 44 in. Middle will be 3.5 approximately 32-34.5 lbs and I'm not sure on height.
    We can rent cares harnesses for both on them for the plane, but what should we do for traveling to and from the airport?
    I'm hesitant to buy anything expensive as they both have many years in their full time car seats so any new purchase will expire or be near expiration before it could be used beyond the approximately 20 min on this trip.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Vacation Questions

The older will have outgrown the CARES, and it doesn't do much for any child anyway. Besides, I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with my dirty undies, nevermind my kids' lifesaving devices, so I'd want to take them on board.

For your older, a Harmony Youth Booster would work. I'm not worried about your child sleeping in a 10 minute trip, and for 10 minutes most kids even new to boosters can sit properly. Have your five year old carry it, and just store it in the overhead, or under a seat in front.

For the three year old, a Cosco Finale would work well. As long as you're traveling within the US or can have a tether guaranteed in the car at the other end.

I'd be happy to help with suggestions on how to get the seats around the airport, if you'd like.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Unregistered

We will be outside the US and they can guarantee nothing regarding child safety devices. We were told when we called to check a few options.
    I've been considering the Cosco seat but I don't think it would be possible for us to transport it through the airport because of some health problems I have (husband will be the only 1 capable of carrying much and will have baby + seat + baby's carryon and his own) Would you consider using the Harmony booster for a 3 yo also since its so brief? I don't believe he is ready for 1 in any way (5 yo is also not. He just began ff last week.) and I'm not the type to push safety rules or make exceptions to them, but I'm not sure what else to do in this circumstance. Would a backless booster be useless for a 35 lb 3 yo?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You're asking me to choose between something known to be very unsafe, and something else known to be very unsafe (nothing or a backless booster). There's no way to know which is worse.

Plus, he's not likely to fit in the plane's belt at 35 pounds.

Does the baby's seat fit in a stroller, and if so, can you push that? Then your husband can pull the three year old's seat on a rolling luggage cart, and your three year old can sit in it. Your three year old can probably also hold a backpack, and your five year old wear a backpack, so that way there's less for you and your husband to carry as well. Diaper bag in the stroller's basket.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If your husband will have a rolling carryon you could also use a Traveling Toddler strap to attach the 3 year old's seat to that.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 6
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!