Vacation Questions

U

Unregistered

My family will be taking a trip next year by plane. We have avoided traveling by plane since having kids as we have some physical limitations that make it impossible to transport a full sized car seat through the airport, but this trip is required for work. Once we reach our destination airport, we will have an approximately 10 minute drive to our destination where we will remain until returning home.
Our youngest will still fit in an infant seat so using that on the plane and drive to and from the airport is a no brainer. What is the best option for my older kids? Oldest will be 5 and based on his previous growth, around 39 lbs and between 43 and 44 in. Middle will be 3.5 approximately 32-34.5 lbs and I'm not sure on height.
We can rent cares harnesses for both on them for the plane, but what should we do for traveling to and from the airport?
I'm hesitant to buy anything expensive as they both have many years in their full time car seats so any new purchase will expire or be near expiration before it could be used beyond the approximately 20 min on this trip.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The older will have outgrown the CARES, and it doesn't do much for any child anyway. Besides, I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with my dirty undies, nevermind my kids' lifesaving devices, so I'd want to take them on board.

For your older, a Harmony Youth Booster would work. I'm not worried about your child sleeping in a 10 minute trip, and for 10 minutes most kids even new to boosters can sit properly. Have your five year old carry it, and just store it in the overhead, or under a seat in front.

For the three year old, a Cosco Finale would work well. As long as you're traveling within the US or can have a tether guaranteed in the car at the other end.

I'd be happy to help with suggestions on how to get the seats around the airport, if you'd like.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We will be outside the US and they can guarantee nothing regarding child safety devices. We were told when we called to check a few options.
I've been considering the Cosco seat but I don't think it would be possible for us to transport it through the airport because of some health problems I have (husband will be the only 1 capable of carrying much and will have baby + seat + baby's carryon and his own) Would you consider using the Harmony booster for a 3 yo also since its so brief? I don't believe he is ready for 1 in any way (5 yo is also not. He just began ff last week.) and I'm not the type to push safety rules or make exceptions to them, but I'm not sure what else to do in this circumstance. Would a backless booster be useless for a 35 lb 3 yo?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're asking me to choose between something known to be very unsafe, and something else known to be very unsafe (nothing or a backless booster). There's no way to know which is worse.

Plus, he's not likely to fit in the plane's belt at 35 pounds.

Does the baby's seat fit in a stroller, and if so, can you push that? Then your husband can pull the three year old's seat on a rolling luggage cart, and your three year old can sit in it. Your three year old can probably also hold a backpack, and your five year old wear a backpack, so that way there's less for you and your husband to carry as well. Diaper bag in the stroller's basket.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If your husband will have a rolling carryon you could also use a Traveling Toddler strap to attach the 3 year old's seat to that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC