Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Chicco Nexfit Zip -Outgrown too soon

My 4yr old is 44" and 51 lbs. Her shoulders are now higher than the straps on the Chicco Nextfit Zip. According to the instructions this indicates she has outgrown her seat, which was confirmed by a call back from Chicco. She is pretty far from the 49" and 65 lbs. at which the seat was supposed to max out. Is this a common issue? Do I have any recourse? It would have been nice if Chicco would have offered a coupon or something. Being that my cars are small and there are four adults, two of whom have to squeeze on either side of the seat, what seat do we get next? I want to keep her in a HBB, as she has low muscle tone and impulsive behavior. I am concerned she would unbuckle herself and she wouldn't be safe in a three point belt. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Chicco Nexfit Zip -Outgrown too soon

Hi there.

No, there's no recourse, as she's hit one of the stated limits in the manual. It's 49" OR 65 pounds OR shoulders over the top harness height OR tops of the ears over the top of the headrest. Since Chicco cannot predict her torso length, they are not at fault.

A high back booster uses a three point belt. So that's not at all what you want right now. In addition to her low tone (which is usually fine in a high back booster), she's simply too young to be safe in one. But a combination seat would be perfect. I'd look at the Britax Frontier, Britax Pioneer, Chicco MyFit (you'll recognize a lot of similarities with your NextFit, and it's a LOT narrower so the people on the sides won't be as squished). They all have 19.5" to 20.5" top harness height, up from the NextFit's 17.5".

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

4. Thank You from:

Unregistered

Re: Chicco Nexfit Zip -Outgrown too soon

We're going through the same thing. I agree, the Britax Frontier Clicktight is the way to go. We're happy with ours.